DC Comics editorial art director Mark Chiarello headlined a talk at New York Comic Con called “DC: Talent Search.” During the event, Chiarello (pictured) shared some handy job hunting tips for comic book artists looking to break into the industry.
1. Be prepared to pitch publishers at conventions. Bring photocopied samples of your work as well as a portfolio containing original work.
2. Make your editor happy. He explained: “No editor wants a new person coming into the door and being a jerk.”
3. Don’t limit your job search to major publishers. Try to reach out to independent publishers as well.
4. Pin a business card to your samples. If you want to be hired, the editors need to have your contact information. Chiarello explained that there have been countless occasions where artists would neglect to attach their name and contact information onto their work.
5. Be yourself. Chiarello concluded with this advice: “Figure out who you are as an artist and draw like yourself.”