Perhaps best known for jumping off the Sears…er, Willis Tower during the filming of Transformers 3 in Chicago, skydiver JT Holmes may very well be the first person ever to book a hotel room during freefall.
In this video from Y&R Chicago and shot by humble.tv, Holmes uses Hotels.com’s mobile app to book himself a room after jumping out of an airplane soaring over Lake Tahoe. Despite a somewhat rough landing (comic relief, derpity derp), a call to the hotel in question confirms the dusty skydiver’s mobile efforts were on target. More curious (with past airplane experiences in mind) is how the phone gets such good reception that high up. In any case, it’s a wonderful idea that emphasizes the ease with which the Hotels.com app operates. If the campaign continues, here are some suggestions for future situations where we’d like to see mobile users put the app to the test:
- During the running of the bulls.
- While in the midst of a bar fight.
- While in the midst of an MMA fight.
- While performing open heart surgery.
- During a speed metal guitar solo (perfect for the guys from Dragonforce).
- While in a mosh pit for said guitar solo.
- While rolling on E at Burning Man.
Any more suggestions?