Anthony Ponce Leaving WMAQ for ‘Other Opportunities’

By Kevin Eck 

WMAQ weekend morning anchor Anthony Ponce is leaving the Chicago NBC-owned station.

“Anthony will be working here until July 24,” A WMAQ spokesperson told TVSpy. “He has decided to pursue other opportunities outside of television news.”

Chicago media writer Robert Feder first reported the news. Feder says Ponce had been “passed over for promotion to weekday morning news anchor after the departure of Stefan Holt.”

Holt now anchors the 4 p.m. newscast for NBC-owned New York station WNBC.

“We appreciate all that he has done over the years,” Frank Whittaker told staffers.

Ponce has worked at WMAQ since 2007. He replaced Holt as anchor of the weekend morning newscast in 2012.

Advertisement
Advertisement