Week of Jan. 16 Morning Show Ratings: GMA and Today Continue to Split First Place in Total Viewers and Adults 25-54

By Mark Mwachiro 

The Lost Remote newsletter brings you the the best in streaming news, from staffing changes to premiere dates to trailers—to the latest platform moves. Sign up today.

It’s a new week, but the same two morning shows are keeping a firm grip on their Nielsen ratings dominance in Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 — the audience measurements most relevant to TV news.

For the week of January 16, ABC’s Good Morning America remained the most-watched show overall, while NBC’s Today was the most-watched among A25-54.

According to live-plus-same-day data from Nielsen, GMA averaged 3.39 million total viewers and 749,000 viewers in the A25-54 demo for the week of January 16.

There was more good news for GMA as it was the only morning show to register week-to-week growth in total viewers, up by +1%. However, the program shed -5% in A25-54 compared to the previous week. Looking at GMA’s performance versus the same week in 2022, the morning show was down by -1% in total viewers and -16% in the A25-54 demo.

The Today show was the number two show in total viewers with 2.9 million viewers but was the top show in the A25-54 demo with 760,000 for the week of Jan. 16. Today was down in both the aforementioned measurements by -3% and -8%, respectively, compared to the previous week. When looking at the numbers from the same week in 2022, the Today show suffered the most hemorrhage, dropping by double digits in both total viewers and adults 25-54 at -13% and -21%, respectively.

Nevertheless, last week’s result represented 11 out of the last 14 that Today was the No. 1 show within this key A25-54 demo.

CBS Mornings, as usual, came in third place in both total viewers and A25-54. For the week of Jan. 16, the program averaged 2.37 million total viewers and 512,000 viewers in the A25-54 demo.

Compared to the previous week, CBS Mornings’ performance was flat in both total viewers and the A25-54 demo. Looking at the same period in 2022, CBS’ morning show is -7% in total viewers and -9% in the demo.

Nielsen live-plus-same-day numbers for the week of Jan. 16, 2023:

ABC NBC CBS
• Total Viewers: 3,390,000 2,889,000   2,371,000
• A25-54: 749,000 760,000   512,000

 

 

 

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 Live + SD Current Week (w/o 1/9/23), Previous Week (w/o 1/2/23) and Year-Ago Week (w/o 1/10/22). Most Current Data Stream: Season 2022-2023 (9/19/22 – 1/15/23), Season 2021-2022 (9/20/21 – 1/16/22).Beginning 8/31/20, national ratings also include Out of Home (OOH) viewing. Averages based on regular telecasts.

Advertisement
Advertisement