There Goes the TV Event of the Year: Trump Backs Out of Bernie Debate

By Mark Joyella 

The Lost Remote newsletter brings you the the best in streaming news, from staffing changes to premiere dates to trailers—to the latest platform moves. Sign up today.

Some network just lost a lot of money.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump announced Friday he would not, in fact, debate Democrat Bernie Sanders in California ahead of the state’s primary.

In a statement published on Trump’s campaign website, he says “it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. Likewise, the networks want to make a killing on these events and are not proving to be too generous to charitable causes.”

Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver had suggested the debate would draw a huge television audience, and said all of the news networks had been in touch in the hopes of hosting the event.

Here’s the Trump statement, in full:

Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. Likewise, the networks want to make a killing on these events and are not proving to be too generous to charitable causes, in this case, women’s health issues. Therefore, as much as I want to debate Bernie Sanders – and it would be an easy payday – I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.

Advertisement
Advertisement