CNN rose to #2 in primetime in both total viewers and the A25-54 demo in Q3 2014, edging out MSNBC by a razor-thin 1,000 total viewers in primetime. For the second quarter in a row, CNN was second in in total day viewers, also rising to No. 2 in the total day demo.
The ratings for Q3, 2014:
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 553K Total Viewers / 185K A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 447K Total Viewers / 134K A25-54
Compared to Q3 2013, CNN was up +6% in viewers and flat in the demo for total day. In primetime, the net was up +2% in viewers and down -3% in the demo. “Anderson Cooper 360″ led the way for CNN’s daily programs, up +6% in total viewers and up +9% in the demo. At 9pmET, which featured both an extended hour of “AC360” and original programming, CNN is up +3% in viewers and up +21% in the demo year-over-year. Last year, “Piers Morgan Live” ran in the timeslot.
CNN’s original series, “The Sixties,” which ended its weekly Thursday run during the quarter, was the network’s highest-rated program in total viewers, drawing 650,000 viewers. Several daytime programs were down double digits in the A25-54 demo: “Legal View with Ashleigh Banfield” (down -20%), “Wolf” (down -17%), and “CNN Newsroom” (2pmET and 3pmET; down -16%, -13%, respectively).
CNN is claiming back-to-back quarterly wins over MSNBC (second to Fox News) in primetime demo viewers. They are using a blend of Nielsen data, which is explained in their press release after the jump.
CNN IS #2 IN CABLE NEWS FOR THE 3Q 2014
TOPS MSNBC FOR TWO STRAIGHT QUARTERS IN PRIMETIME AND TOTAL DAY FOR FIRST TIME IN SIX YEARS
CNN’s New Day Has Highest Delivery Ever and Posts First Quarterly Win over Morning Joe;
CNN at 9pm Tops The Rachel Maddow Show for the First Time Since 2009
MSNBC Suffers Double-Digit Losses Almost Every Hour;
Maddow Show Registers Lowest Quarter Delivery Ever and Joe is Posting Largest Time Period Losses
CNN Original Series Continue to Post Strong Ratings This Quarter
For the third quarter 2014:
· CNN ranked #2 in Total Day among total viewers (449k vs. MSNBC’s 331k) and in demo 25-54 rating (135k vs. MSNBC’s 98k).
· CNN ranked #2 in M-Su Primetime among total viewers (562k vs. MSNBC’s 560k) and in the demo 25-54 (189k vs. MSNBC’s 155k).
· CNN ranked #2 in M-F Primetime in key demo rating (199k vs. MSNBC’s 153k).
· CNN ranked #2 in Dayside (9a-4p) in both total viewers (525k vs. MSNBC’s 249k) and demo 25-54 rating (127k vs. MSNBC’s 54k).
· CNN ranked #1 in Weekend Primetime in demo rating (164k vs. MSNBC’s 159k and Fox’s 143k) and #2 among total viewers (503k vs. MSNBC’s 320k).
· CNN Original Series rank #1 or #2 in cable news in the time period.
CNN out-rated MSNBC in Total Day and M-Su Prime among adults 25-54, for the second straight quarter. The last time CNN beat MSNBC in both Total Day and M-Su Prime for two quarters in a row was nearly six years ago. Also, for the first time in over a year (since 2Q 2013), CNN moved past MSNBC in M-F Prime in the key demo 25-54. The network outperformed MSNBC in Total Day for the fourth time in the last six quarters in both total viewers and 25-54 demo rating. This quarter, CNN is posting the largest increases vs. a year ago in Total Day among total viewers. For the first time since its debut, New Day bested MSNBC’s Morning Joe among both 25-54 (+29%; 112k vs. MSNBC’s 87k) and in total viewers. Year-to-date, CNN ranks ahead of MSNBC in total day in both total viewers and the demo 25-54.
This quarter, MSNBC is experiencing lows in key day parts dating back over eight years. In Total Day and M-Su Prime, MSNBC is registering its lowest quarterly levels among 25-54 since 2Q 2006 and its lowest M-F Prime since 3Q 2006. Also this quarter, MSNBC is posting double-digit losses nearly every hour of the day. MSNBC’s flagship program, The Rachel Maddow Show, which launched third quarter 2008, is registering its lowest quarterly 25-54 delivery ever (182k). Morning Joe, which launched in late 3Q 2007 is averaging its second lowest quarterly 25-54 and total viewer deliveries. Across cable news vs. a year ago Morning Joe is posting the largest losses in the time period among both 25-54 (-34%) and total viewers (-15%).
Third quarter CNN show highlights include:
· New Day had its first quarterly win ever over MSNBC’s Morning Joe in both total viewers (347k vs. 338k) and the demo (112k vs. 87k). New Day is the only morning program in cable news to grow vs. a year ago in both total viewers (+15%) and the demo (+5%); while Joe declined -15%/-34% respectively.
· All of CNN’s Dayside programming (9a-4p) easily topped MSNBC this quarter, with MSNBC experiencing double-digit declines every hour, and ranking either third or fourth.
· The Lead with Jake Tapper ranked #2 in total viewers (575k) and the demo (138k). MSNBC dropped -47% in the demo vs. a year ago.
· The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer also ranked #2 in both demos, growing +23% in total viewers and +13% in the demo. MSNBC was down -28% in the demo.
· Erin Burnett Outfront ranked #2 in the demo (176k); increasing +22% while MSNBC’s Hardball ranked 3rd (130k) and was down -16% vs. a year ago.
· AC 360 (8pm) easily topped MSNBC’s All in with Chris Hayes in both viewers (637k vs. MSNBC’s 609k) and the demo (201k vs. MSNBC’s 129k). AC 360 posted the most growth at 8pm in cable news, increasing +9%, while Hayes was off -21% in the demo vs. a year ago. All In’s demo rating represents the show’s lowest quarterly 25-54 delivery since his show began (129k) and MSNBC’s lowest 8pm delivery since 2Q 2005. AC 360 is the highest rated weekly program on CNN.
· CNN programming at 9pm (mostly an additional hour of AC 360 and various other programs) ranked #2 in cable news in the key demo, outperforming MSNBC’s flagship primetime program The Rachel Maddow Show for the quarter (210k vs. MSNBC’s 182k). Maddow lost -18% of her audience vs. third quarter last year.
· CNN programming at 10pm (mostly CNN Tonight) ranked #2 in the demo (190k vs. MSNBC’s 150k). MSNBC’s Last Word/Docs combo ranked 3rd.
· Smerconish ranked #2 in total viewers (533k) and the demo (129k) for the quarter.
· State of the Union with Candy Crowley ranked #2 in both total viewers and the key demo at 9am and noon.
· Fareed Zakaria GPS ranked #2 in both total viewers (581k) and key demo rating (150k).
· Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter ranked #2 in total viewers (524k) and among 25-54 (137k). RS is the only cable news program to grow in its time period among total viewers, increasing +25% vs a year ago.
CNN Original Series have registered strong ratings this quarter:
The Hunt with John Walsh – Season One (July 13-August 31, 2014)
· In its first season, The Hunt with John Walsh was #1 in cable news in its time period in both demos.
· The show averaged 297k P25-54 and 871k P2+ over eight premiere airings on Sundays at 9p, outperforming the combined delivery of Fox News and MSNBC among 25-54
· The Hunt outperformed Fox News by +88% in the demo 25-54 (158k) and +2% in P2+ (851k).
· The show more than doubled MSNBC in P25-54 (+127%; 131k) and nearly tripled it in P2+ (+198%; 292k).
· Every premiere episode of The Hunt also ranked #1 across cable news in its time period among P25-54.
This is Life with Lisa Ling – Season One:
· The 10p-11p This is Life with Lisa Ling series premiere on September 28, (Sugar Daddies, Sugar Babies) delivered 233k P25-54 and 596k P2+.
· Among cable news in the time period, it ranked #1 in both P25-54 and P2+ (outperforming Fox News and MSNBC by double to triple-digit percentages).
· This is Life was up double-digit percentages from both the prior four Sundays and a year-ago time period, with the largest increases among cable news in both P25-54 and P2+.
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown – Season Four:
· CNN’s 9p-10p Parts Unknown premiere on September 28, (Shanghai) delivered 219k P25-54 and 538k P2+.
· Among cable news in the time period, it ranked #1 in P25-54 (topping Fox News and MSNBC by double-digit percentages).
The Sixties – (Original Series ending this quarter, August 14, 2014)
· Over its 10 premieres on Thursdays at 9p, The Sixties averaged 298k P25-54 and 1,085k P2+.
· The series ranked #2 across cable news in its time period among both demos, beating MSNBC by +39% in P25-54 (783k) and +91% in P2+ (156k).
End of month, September 2014:
· In Total Day, CNN ranked #2 in cable news among both 25-54 demo rating and total viewers, ahead of MSNBC. In M-Su/M-F Prime, CNN is also outperforming MSNBC among 25-54 to rank #2.
· CNN outperformed MSNBC for the third straight month in Total Day among both demos, and in M-Su/M-F Prime among P25-54. The last time that happened was nearly six years ago (November 2008).
· MSNBC monthly lows among 25-54 date back almost a decade in M-Su/M-F Prime and the M-F 8p and 9p hours, with the 8p All In with Chris Hayes and the 9p Rachel Maddow Show averaging their weakest levels ever.
· Across cable news versus a year-ago, CNN posted the largest increase in M-F Prime among 25-54.
Data is a blend of Nielsen Live+SD and the more inclusive Live+3 and final Live+7 data when available.