CNN showed significant growth this quarter, increasing +31 percent in total day and +25 percent in prime time in the A25-54 demo, v.s Q2 2014. CNN is the only cable news network with double-digit growth across the board this quarter.
CNN finishes the quarter as the No. 1 cable news network on weekends in both total day and prime time viewers in the demo, led by Newsroom with Poppy Harlow finishing No. 1 on Saturdays from 3-5 p.m. in the demo. Fox News still leads among total viewers. Meanwhile, CNN’s weekday prime time finished second to Fox News, ahead of MSNBC for the fourth consecutive quarter. CNN Tonight with Don Lemon was up +36 percent in the demo.
The ratings for Q2 2015:
- Prime time (Mon-Sun): 560,000 Total Viewers / 195,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 431,000 Total Viewers / 138,000 A25-54
In total day, CNN is the closest it has been to Fox News since 2008. The network also saw a successful quarter with original programming such as Glen Campbell… I’ll Be Me and The Seventies.
Check out the full CNN release:
IN Q2, CNN IS #1 ON WEEKENDS
RANKS A SOLID #2 IN WEEKDAY CABLE NEWS, WITH DOUBLE DIGIT GROWTH ACROSS THE BOARD
Network Posts Largest Quarterly Lead Over MSNBC in Primetime in Nearly Nine Years
CNN’s New Day Beats MSNBC’s Morning Joe for Fourth Straight Quarter; The Lead has Most Growth in Cable News; CNN Tonight Tops MSNBC in Total Viewers for the First Time Since 2Q-2013
MSNBC Hits Quarterly Lows Dating Back at Least 10 Years;
Fox News Registers Ratings Lows Since Before 9/11/01
CNN Original Series and Films Post Strong Ratings this Quarter
CNN’s competitive ratings performance and momentum continued this quarter with the network ranking #1 on weekends in both Total Day and Primetime in the demo 25-54 and a solid #2 in weekday cable across all dayparts (Total day, M-Su/M-F primetime and daytime), up significantly from year-ago levels while posting the largest growth in cable news. CNN has now beaten MSNBC in Total Day for the fifth straight quarter among both total viewers and 25-54 demo. In primetime, CNN also posted its largest quarterly advantage over MSNBC in nearly nine years among 25-54 (M-Su prime +50% since 3Q-06).
CNN is the only cable news network with double-digit ratings growth this quarter, in all four dayparts, while MSNBC posted the biggest declines in cable news among adults 25-54. CNN’s weekday primetime programs all grew compared to a year ago and outperformed MSNBC across the 7pm, 8pm, 9pm and 10pm hours in the key demo 25-54 for the fourth consecutive quarter. CNN morning programming is also up from a year ago, with New Day topping MSNBC’s Morning Joe in the demo rating for the fourth straight quarter. CNN also posted the largest increases in daytime programming (9a-4p) this quarter, up +29% in total viewers and +40% in among adults 25-54.
This quarter, Fox News registered its lowest Total Day deliveries and second lowest daytime (9a-4p) quarterly performance among 25-54 since before September 11, 2001. CNN has narrowed the gap with Fox News to the closest its been since 2008 in Total Day. MSNBC has also hit quarterly lows dating back at least 10 years in Total Day and primetime, while the network’s 43k in the daytime is the second lowest in 17 years (since 2Q 1998; 27k). MSNBC’s All in with Chris Hayes and The Rachel Maddow Show posted their lowest total viewer and demo quarterly delivery on record.
CNN Second Quarter 2015 Program Highlights:
- CNN’S New Day (6-9am) beat Morning Joe for the fourth straight quarter in the demo 25-54 (110k vs. MSNBC’s 79k), with Morning Joe falling to its lowest quarterly 25-54 delivery in more than seven years (since 4Q-2007) and Fox and Friends hitting its lowest quarterly 25-54 rating (210k) in almost 14 years (since 3Q-2001). This quarter, New Day grew vs. a year ago, increasing +12% in total viewers and +21% in the demo 25-54. Joe declined -17% and F&F was off -7% compared to last year among 25-54.
- The Lead with Jake Tapper (4pm) posted the most growth in cable news this quarter in the demo 25-54, increasing an impressive +59% vs. last year. The program was also up +39% among total viewers vs. 2Q a year ago, while MSNBC was down -31%/-6% respectively. The Lead ranked #2 in cable news at 4pm, easily topping MSNBC in both total viewers (530k vs. MSNBC’s 325k) and the demo 25-54 (143k vs. 48k).
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (5-7pm) also had a very strong quarter, easily topping MSNBC in both total viewers and the demo. The Blitzer-led program was also up +24% in total viewers and up +45% in the demo 25-54 vs. a year ago. MSNBC’s The Ed Show (5pm) was down -47% and Politics Nation (6pm) declined -39% in the demo from a year ago.
- Erin Burnett Outfront (7pm): For the fourth straight quarter, Outfront beat MSNBC’s Hardball in the demo (187k vs. 119k). This represents the network’s largest quarterly advantage over MSNBC at 7pm (+58%) since 1Q-08. EBOF also grew double-digits vs. a year ago, increasing in both total viewers (+39%) and the demo (+50%). Hardball was down -12%/-18% vs. year ago.
- Anderson Cooper 360 (8pm) easily ranked #2 in cable news, topping MSNBC’s All in with Chris Hayes in both total viewers (627k vs. 547k) for four straight quarters and in the demo (205k vs. 110k) for five consecutive quarters. CNN’s demo delivery is the largest quarterly lead over MSNBC (+86%) since 3Q-05. AC 360 also grew vs. a year ago, increasing +26% in total viewers and +30% in the demo. MSNBC’s Hayes decreased -11%/-20% vs. last year. This quarter represents All in with Chris Hayes lowest demo delivery ever.
- CNN programming at 9pm ranked #2 in the demo in cable news this quarter, increasing +13% in total viewers (561k) and +30% in the demo (206k) vs. a year ago. MSNBC’s flagship primetime program The Rachel Maddow Show trailed CNN this quarter, ranking #3 in the demo (152k), its lowest performance ever while losing -23% of its audience from a year ago.
- CNN Tonight with Don Lemon ranked #2 in cable news at 10pm. CNN posted its first quarterly win over MSNBC since 2Q-13 among total viewers (575k vs. MSNBC’s 542k) and outperformed MSNBC for five straight quarters in the key demo 25-54 (218k vs. 125k). The program was also up +23% among total viewers and +36% in the demo 25-54, while MSNBC was down -10%/-16%.
- Smerconish ranked #2 in total viewers and the demo – increasing +25% in total viewers and 28% in the demo on Saturdays at 9am.
- CNN Newsroom with Poppy Harlow ranked #1 on Saturdays during the 3-5pm hours in the demo 25-54. The show was also up double-digits each hour in total viewers and the demo compared to last year.
- State of the Union ranked #2 on Sundays in the both 9am and 12pm hours among both Total Viewers and in the demo. The program also saw double-digit growth in both hours among both demos while MSNBC saw declines in the 9a hour among both total viewers and in the demo.
- Fareed Zakaria GPS ranked #2 in both total viewers and the demo 25-54 at 10am and 1pm on Sundays. GPS grew in both demos, both hours; while MSNBC declined in the demo 25-54.
- Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter ranked #2 this quarter in both total viewers (479k) and among 25-54 (132k) at 11am. RS increased +28% in total viewers and +23% in the demo vs. last year, while MSNBC was down -8% in the demo.
CNN Original Series registered strong ratings this quarter:
- The Seventies has averaged 351k among 25-54 and 1.009m in total viewers over its three Thursday 9p-10p premieres in Season 1 to-date (6/11-6/25/15).
o Across cable news in its time period, ranks #1 in both 25-54 and 18-34, and #2 in total viewers.
o Attracts the youngest audience across cable news in its time period.
o Pacing above The Sixties Season 1 average by +18% in 25-54 (298k) and +9% in 18-34 (74k).
o Up from Live to Most Current viewing by +56% among 25-54 (351k vs. 225k), +45% in total viewers (1,009k vs. 696k), and +53% in 18-34 (81k vs. 53k).
- Somebody’s Gotta Do It with Mike Rowe averaged 242k among 25-54 and 583k in total viewers over its eight Thursday 9p-10p premieres in Season 2 (4/9-6/4/15).
o Across cable news in its time period, ranked #2 in the key demo rating 25-54.
o Beat MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show by +44% in key demo 25-54 (168k) and more than doubled it in 18-34 (75k vs. 27k; +178%).
o Attracted the youngest audience across cable news in its time period.
o Up from Live to Live+7 viewing by +67% among 25-54 (242k vs. 145k), +49% in total viewers (583k vs. 391k), and +88% in 18-34 (75k vs. 40k).
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown averaged 405k among 25-54, 786k in total viewers, and an impressive 156k in the younger 18-34 over its eight Sunday 9p-10p premieres in Season 5 (4/26-6/21/15).
o Posted its 2nd strongest season performance ever among 25-54 and its best performance ever in 18-34 (tied with Season 1 in Spring 2013).
o Ranked #1 across cable news in its time period among both 25-54 and 18-34, outperforming the combined delivery of Fox News and MSNBC in both demos. More than doubled MSNBC in total viewers (786k vs. 341k +130%).
o Every premiere episode of Parts Unknown in Season 5 also ranked #1 across cable news in its time period among both 25-54 and 18-34.
o Attracted the youngest audience across cable news in its time period.
o Up from Live to Most Current viewing by +97% among 25-54 (405k vs. 206k), +60% in total viewers (786k vs. 492k), and +117% in 18-34 (156k vs. 72k).
- High Profits averaged 208k among 25-54 and 409k in total viewers over its eight Sunday 10p-11p premieres in Season 1 (4/19-6/14/15).
o Across cable news in its time period, ranked #1 among adults 25-54.
o Up from Live to Live+7 viewing by +50% among 25-54 (208k vs. 139k), +33% in total viewers + (409k vs. 308k), and +87% in 18-34 (84k vs. 45k).
CNN Films this quarter:
The premiere of CNN Films Presents: Glen Campbell…I’ll be Me was the most watched CNN film delivering 2.76m total viewers and 510k in the demo 25-54 on Sun 6/28/15, 9-10:45p.
- Was the highest-rated CNN film in both 25-54 and total viewers, and the 2nd highest-rated among 18-34 (after CNN Films: Blackfish).
- Won its time period across 25-54, total viewers, and 18-34 — delivering more than twice to nearly six times the audience of both MSNBC and Fox News, respectively, in each demo.
End of month, June 2015:
- CNN is the only network to grow across Total Day, M-Su and M-F primetime vs. a year ago among both the demo 25-54 and total viewers.
- Ranked a solid #2 in June, topping MSNBC in Total Day, M-Su primetime and dayside in both total viewers and demo 25-54 rating.
- CNN’s New Day grew +28% in total viewers and +30% in the demo – topping MSNBC’s Morning Joe for a full year in the demo 25-54 (100k vs. 82k).
- CNN Newsroom with Brooke Baldwin ranked #1 at 2:00pm in the demo with 151k, Fox News followed with 149k and MSNBC had 38k.
- CNN outperformed MSNBC at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm and 10pm among adults 25-54 for the 11th straight month.
- #1 in Total Day and weekend primetime in the demo rating.