The first quarter of 2013 marks Jeff Zucker’s first in charge of CNN Worldwide. Many of his changes haven’t been reflected yet in the ratings (a new morning show, an experimental 10 PM show, etc) but there are a few things included in the numbers, like Jake Tapper’s new 4 PM show, and of course the much-maligned (and praised) coverage of the Carnival cruise ship fiasco.
The ratings for Q1 2013 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 590,000 Total Viewers / 174,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 402,000 Total Viewers / 122,000 A25-54
In total viewers, CNN was down -7% in total day and down -22% in primetime compared to Q1 2012. In the A25-54 demo, CNN was down -12% in total day and -31% in primetime (Note: percentages are based on a blend of Nielsen Live + 7 and Live + 3 data).
Q1 2012 saw a slew of GOP primary elections and a number of debates, boosting the cable news channels, and CNN was no exception.
Despite CNN’s overall declines, the channel saw some growth in a number of hours. The 8 PM “AC360” was up +17% and +9% in total and demo viewers, respectively, compared to last year. “Erin Burnett Outfront” at 7 PM was up +7% and +5% in total and demo viewers. At 5pm “The Situation Room” was up +2% and +7% and at 6pm was up +7% and +12% in total and demo viewers, respectively.
“Starting Point,” which will make way for a new show in a few weeks, was up +12% in total viewers, and +6% in the demo compared to a year ago.
“Piers Morgan Live” was down -2% in total viewers and -18% in the demo compared to last year, while the 10pm “AC360” was down -22% and -31%, respectively.
4pm, which featured both “The Situation Room” and “The Lead,” was down -5% in total viewers and -3% in the demo compared to a year ago.