Morning Show Ratings: Q2 2017 and Week of June 19

By A.J. Katz 

The second quarter of 2017 produced a split decision in the morning ratings race: ABC finished No. 1 in total viewers, while NBC finished No. 1 in the key A25-54 demo.

Good Morning America’s Q2 2017 victory marks its 5th consecutive Q2 win in total viewers. GMA has now won 19 of the past 20 quarter in total viewers, and also increased its total viewer lead over Today from Q2 2016. That being said, the program was -10 percent in total viewers and -16 percent in the demo compared to its Q2 2016, and its Q2 ’17 average in the demo (1.32 million) represents an all-time low.

Q2 ’17 brought Today its 7th consecutive quarterly win among viewers 25-54, and posted its largest win over GMA in the category 5 years. Today was -11 percent in total viewers and -13 percent in the aforementioned demo compared to its Q2 ’16 average.

CBS This Morning was -4 percent in total viewers, and -10 percent in the demo versus Q2 2016.

The averages for Q2 2017:

  • Total Viewers: ABC: 4.274 M / NBC: 4.056 M / CBS: 3.548 M
  • A25-54 viewers: ABC: 1.320 M / NBC:  1.509 M / CBS: 967 K

The ratings trend remained unchanged this past week: GMA No. 1 in total viewers, Today was No. 1 in the news demo.

ABC, NBC and CBS lost morning show viewers relative to the comparable week in 2016, GMA -7 percent in total viewers and -13 percent in the A25-54 demo, Today -6 percent in total viewers and -13 percent in the demo, and CBS This Morning was -3 percent in total viewers and -16 percent in the demo

The averages for the week of June 19, 2017:

  • Total Viewers: ABC: 4.091 M / NBC: 3.915 M / CBS: 3.346 M
  • A25-54 Viewers: ABC: 1.207 M / NBC: 1.385 M / CBS: 817K
Advertisement
Advertisement