CNN’s coverage of the death of Michael Jackson was enough to put the channel back in second place in the cable news race.
CNN had its best July ever in primetime in both Total Viewers and the A25-54 demo. CNN topped MSNBC in primetime (M-F) by 57% in the demo and by 48% in Total Viewers. The monthly win comes after MSNBC beat CNN in weekday primetime for the second quarter.
“Larry King Live,” which produced the most Jackson coverage on CNN, grew 54% among Total Viewers and 69% among A25-54 viewers compared to July ’08.
CNN’s release after the jump…
CNN Has Best July Ever; While MSNBC Slips to Fourth in Total Day Demo
CNN TOPS MSNBC IN PRIMETIME (M-F) BY 57% AND IN TOTAL DAY BY 61% IN KEY DEMO 25-54 IN JULY
In July 2009, CNN had its best July ever in primetime among total viewers and the 25-54 demo (M-F and M-Su). CNN also topped MSNBC in Primetime (M-F) by an impressive 57% in the key demo 25-54 (430k vs. 274k) and by 48% among total viewers (1.284m vs. 868k). In total day, CNN outperformed MSNBC by 61% in the key demo (232k vs. 144k), and by 82% among total viewers (724k vs. 397k). CNN also had the most total day growth of any cable news network among total viewers, up 45% (724k vs. 500k). MSNBC dropped to fourth place among 25-54 viewers in total day in July, behind FNC, CNN and HLN.
Several CNN programs had significant gains in July 2009 versus a year ago (July 2008):
– American Morning increased 34% among total viewers and 27% among 25-54 viewers, posting the most total viewer growth among cable news morning programs.
– The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer 4p increased 90% among total viewers and 116% among 25-54 viewers, posting the most growth in both demos of any cable news program at 4p.
– The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer 5p increased 66% among total viewers and 75% among 25-54 viewers.
– The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer 6p increased 44% among total viewers and 49% among 25-54 viewers.
– Campbell Brown increased 59% among total viewers and 47% among 25-54 viewers, posting the most total viewer growth in cable news at 8p.
– Larry King Live increased 54% among total viewers and 69% among 25-54, tying for the most growth in the 25-54 demo of any cable news show at 9p.
– Anderson Cooper 360 increased 52% among total viewers and 71% among 25-54 viewers.