CNN finished July in second place, behind Fox News, in the key A25-54 demo for the 13th consecutive month. CNN is also up in viewers across the board: up +6 percent in total day and up +9 percent in prime time.
New Day beat MSNBC’s Morning Joe in the demo for the 13th straight month, with a +4 percent increase in viewers and up +9 percent in the demo compared to July 2104. (As we reported earlier, Morning Joe topped New Day in total viewership for the 5th consecutive month.) CNN Tonight with Don Lemon grew +20 percent in total viewers and +22 percent in the demo.
The ratings for July 2015:
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 566,000 Total Viewers / 178,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 426,000 Total Viewers / 131,000K A25-54
RELATED: 5 Questions with CNN’s John Walsh
CNN’s full press release:
CNN RANKS 2ND IN CABLE NEWS FOR 13TH CONSECUTIVE MONTH
Only Cable News Net Up vs. a Year ago in All Four Dayparts;
Posts Largest Growth in M-F Prime
New Day Beats Morning Joe for 13th Straight Month;
Joe Finishes Last in Cable News in Demo Again, Behind HLN and CNN
State of the Union with Jake Tapper is Up Double-Digits in Total Viewers
CNN Original Series Post Strong Ratings this Month
CNN’s momentum continued in July, with the network showing strength, stability and growth across the board. For the 13th straight month, CNN ranked second in cable news in Total Day among both total viewers and the 25-54 demo rating. The network has now ranked #2 in primetime (M-Su/M-F) for the past 13 months in the coveted adults 25-54 demographic. This represents the longest streak across these dayparts and demos in more than seven years.
CNN is the only news network to grow from year-ago levels in all four key dayparts among both total viewers and the demo 25-54. The network is posting the largest growth in cable news in M-Su prime in the key demo 25-54 and the largest increases in M-F primetime in both demos. CNN is also registering the largest and only double-digit growth in daytime (9a-4p) among 25-54.
(Note: MSNBC’s total viewer (P2+) growth in July, 2015 is attributed to increases among adults 55+. Year-to-date, MSNBC is posting its oldest yearly median age on record in both total day and primetime.)
CNN Program Highlights:
- CNN’s New Day (6-9am) beat MSNBC’s Morning Joe for the 13th straight month in the key demo 25-54 rating (101k vs. MSNBC’s 97k) – the longest streak since the program’s debut in June 2013. Morning Joe has now also ranked 4th in the demo for 13 straight months, behind HLN and CNN. New Day also grew vs. a year ago increasing +4% in total viewers and +9% in the demo 25-54. Fox and Friends hit its second lowest monthly 25-54 delivery (210k) since 2001 (its lowest was last month 189k).
- The Lead with Jake Tapper (4pm) ranked #2 in cable news, easily topping MSNBC in both total viewers (533k vs. MSNBC’s 390k) and registered a 140% advantage in the demo (137k vs. MSNBC’s 57k). The Lead continued to grow again this month, increasing in both total viewers (+8%) and among 25-54 (22%).
- The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer (5-7pm) ranked #2 in cable news and was ahead of MSNBC by +91% in the demo (151k vs. 79k). The program also grew by +14% vs. year ago in the demo 25-54.
- Erin Burnett Outfront (7pm) outperformed MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Matthews for the 13th consecutive month in the key demo (158k vs. 128k), while increasing +5% in total viewers and +3% in the demo 25-54.
- Anderson Cooper 360 (8pm) topped MSNBC’s All in with Chris Hayes in the key demo 25-54 (180k vs. 122k). AC 360 also grew the most in cable news at 8pm, increasing +17% in total viewers and +6% in the demo. Hayes was down double digits (-8%) in the demo 25-54 vs. a year ago.
- CNN programming at 9pm also ranked #2 in the demo rating (182k) this month, with MSNBC’s flagship primetime program The Rachel Maddow Show ranking #3 (173k). CNN grew during this hour in both total viewers (+8%) and in the demo (+2%), while Maddow is down in the demo (-8%) vs. last year.
- CNN Tonight with Don Lemon (10p) easily topped MSNBC’s Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell (200k vs. 143k) at 10pm this month in the demo. Lemon’s show grew double digits in both total viewers (+20%) and in the demo (+22%) vs. year ago.
- Smerconish ranked #2 in total viewers and the demo on Saturdays at 9am.
- State of the Union with Jake Tapper at 9am ranked second in both total viewers (517k) and in the demo (145k) on Sunday mornings at 9am. The program also saw double-digit growth among total viewers (+11%) and was up +3% in the key demo 25-54 vs. a year ago. SOTU also ranked #2 at noon.
- Fareed Zakaria GPS ranked #2 in total viewers and the demo Sundays at 10am and 1pm.
- Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter also ranked #2 in cable news on Sunday mornings at 11am in both in total viewers and among 25-54.
CNN Original Series Highlights:
- Averages 994k total viewers and 349k among adults 25-54 over its six Thursday 9p-10p premieres in Season 1 to-date (6/11-7/23/15).
o Across cable news in its time period, ranks #2 among total viewers and adults 25-54.
- Beats MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show by +88% in 25-54 (186k), +8% in total viewers (917k), and more than doubles it in 18-34 (+143%; 30k).
o Versus The Sixties Season 1* average:
- Pacing above by +17% in the key demo 25-54 (298k).
- Attracting a younger audience.
o Up from Live to Most Current viewing by +59% among 25-54 (349k vs. 219k) and +48% in total viewers (994k vs. 672k).
The Hunt with John Walsh
- Averages 746k total viewers and 241k among 25-54 over its three Sunday 9p-10p premieres in Season 2 to-date (7/12-7/26/15).
o Across cable news in its time period, ranks #1 among both 25-54 and 18-34, and #2 in total viewers.
o All three premiere episodes of The Hunt in Season 2 to-date also ranked #1 in 25-54 across cable news in its time period.
o Up from Live to Most Current viewing by +14% among 25-54 (241k vs. 211k) and +10% in total viewers (746k vs. 678k).
Death Row Stories
- Averages 679k total viewers and 234k among 25-54 over its three Sunday 10p-11p premieres in Season 2 to-date (7/12-7/26/15).
o Across cable news in its time period, ranks #1 among both 25-54 and total viewers.
o Up from Live to Most Current viewing by +6% among 25-54 (234k vs. 220k) and +9% in P2+ (679k vs. 623k).
Note: The Seventies, The Hunt with John Walsh and Death Row Stories data based on blend of most current streams: Live+7 (thru 7/12/15), Live+3 (7/13/15-7/23/15) and Live+SD (7/24/15-7/26/15).
*The Sixties: Season 1: 5/29-8/14/14