Former CBS News chairman and at present, 60 Minutes executive producer Jeff Fager is not at work today. Last Wednesday, Fager –who had been on vacation when the stunning story from the New Yorker’s Ronan Farrow published–told CNN’s Brian Stelter that he would be back to work on Monday. But yesterday, the Reliable Sources host reported that Fager has decided to remain on vacation.
On Monday, a CBS News spokesman confirmed CNN’s reporting, telling TVNewser in a statement: “Having heard the investigation will be wrapping up soon, Jeff has decided to stay on vacation.”
This all stems from from Farrow’s story about how CBS CEO Les Moonves allegedly committed acts of intimidation and sexual harassment against six women spanning decades.
While the bulk of the story focuses on Moonves’ alleged actions against the women, a substantial portion focuses on Fager. Nineteen CBS Newsers, current and former, told Farrow that Fager enabled harassment during his lengthy tenure at CBS News.
Fager continues to deny these accusations.
In a message to staff last Friday, CBS News president David Rhodes wrote the investigation undertaken by law firm Proskauer Rose into alleged harassment at CBS News is set to “return its conclusions” by the end of the month.
“I’m sure colleagues want to see resolution of this matter as soon as possible. I do too. Independent findings are critical to getting this right,” Rhodes wrote.
The 51st season of 60 Minutes is set to debut on Sunday, Sept. 30 at 7:30 p.m.