The new-look HLN had a busy month, launching new programs “The Daily Share” and “Jack Vale: Offline” while posting ratings increases compared to last year. HLN is up +39% in total day viewers and +32% in the demo. In primetime, HLN is up +19% in viewers and +12% in the demo.
The ratings for Janurary 2015 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 369,000 Total Viewers / 140,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 316,000 Total Viewers / 135,000 A25-54
In addition, “Morning Express with Robin Meade” has now beaten MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” for nine consecutive months. HLN aims to become the all-screens home for the best social news and lifestyle content. The network saw Nancy Grace’s marijuana debate with rapper 2Chainz rack up more than 7.6M views on YouTube.
Full HLN release…
HLN KICKS OFF THE NEW YEAR STRONG; POSTS INCREASES IN TOTAL DAY & PRIME IN ALL KEY DEMOS
HLN BEATS MSNBC IN TOTAL DAY & PRIME IN JANUARY 2015
#1 CABLE NEWS NETWORK IN WEEKEND TOTAL DAY & PRIME
In HLN’s first month since rebranding, the debut of its first live daily show (“The Daily Share”) and original series (“Jack Vale: Offline”) under the new brand, HLN is also kicking off 2015 with solid ratings and social growth.
- Total Day, HLN is up +39% in P2+ (316k); +32% in P25-54 (135k); +47% in P18-49 (112k) vs January 2014
- Mon-Sun Prime, HLN is up +19% in P2+ (369k); +12% in P25-54 (140k): +16% in P18-49 (114k) vs prior year
- HLN & CNN are the only two cable news nets up in all demos January 2015 vs. 2014 in Total Day
HLN bests MSNBC in M-Su Total Day and Prime in January 2015.
- HLN tops MSNBC in Total Day by +56% in P18-49 and +45% in P25-54 (8th straight month in Total Day P25-54)
- HLN tops MSNBC in Prime by +13% in P18-49
- “Morning Express with Robin Meade” once again beats MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” (6-9a) among P25-54 for nine straight months
HLN is the #1 cable news network in weekend Total Day & Prime in the network’s key P18-49 (125k Total Day/154k Prime) and P25-54 (152k Total Day/182k Prime) demos.
- In Total Day, HLN beat FNC by +45% in P18-49 and +12% in P25-54
- HLN also beats MSNBC by +26% in P18-49 and +36% in P25-54
HLN’s first original series under the new brand is a hit. Two episodes in and “Jack Vale: Offline” has cumulatively delivered 2.7M P18-49, 3.4M P25-54 and 8.6M total viewers. Premieres (Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT) has also grown week after week in P2+ (up 99%), P25-54 (up 56%) and P18-49 (up 119%).
HLN’s top three most socially shared stories 2015 to date:
- Who was the real ‘American Sniper’: 6.6M views, 110K, shares, 68K likes: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=387243508101693&set=vb.315667338592644&type=2&theater
- Snowflake Bubbles: 7.6M views, 110K shares, 32K likes: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=382781561881221&set=vb.315667338592644&type=2&theater
- Nancy Grace shares missing person image: 268K, shares 9K likes: https://www.facebook.com/NancyGraceHLN/photos/a.159500548286.116726.56641053286/10153117863023287/?type=1&theater
And, HLN’s Nancy Grace broke the internet. Grace’s marijuana debate with 2Chainz (#Pot2Blame?) was viewed more than 7.6M times on YouTube, totaling more than 38M minutes watched.
Moreover, The Daily Share’s average engagement rate is 1.84% and outpaces that of its competitors, including Buzzfeed @ .31%, Mashable @ .06%, NowThisNews @ .61%, DailyDot @ .24%, meaning The Daily Share audience is 5 times more likely engage with its post vs the competition, and HLN just launched The Daily Share social sites in October (source: Shareablee Key Metrics).