The Lost Remote newsletter brings you the the best in streaming news, from staffing changes to premiere dates to trailers—to the latest platform moves. Sign up today.
Not for lack of trying, it seems there won’t be a Democratic presidential debate on Fox News Channel this election. The network’s last effort to bring Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton together for a prime time debate ahead of the California primary collapsed with Clinton’s decision not to participate.
“Naturally, Fox News is disappointed that Secretary Clinton has declined our debate invitation, especially given that the race is still contested and she had previously agreed to a final debate before the California primary,” said Fox News vice president and Washington managing editor Bill Sammon.
Sanders had previously agreed to the FNC debate, and Fox News Channel host Bill O’Reilly had urged Clinton to do the debate, saying it would be to Secretary Clinton’s advantage to make her case before the Fox News audience ahead of the general election.
FNC, which was shut out of hosting any of the Democratic debates despite receiving strong reviews–and record viewership–for its Republican debates, made the offer of a debate saying Democrats hadn’t debated on the network in 12 years.
Announcing Clinton’s decision on Special Report Monday, Bret Baier said the Clinton campaign insisted its decision had “nothing to do with Fox.”