The Lost Remote newsletter brings you the the best in streaming news, from staffing changes to premiere dates to trailers—to the latest platform moves. Sign up today.
The Jodi Arias trial continued to boost HLN’s ratings this month, with the network showing double digit growth in both Total Day and primetime. HLN placed fourth among the cable news networks in primetime and among Total Viewers in Total Day, but edged MSNBC to be third among A25-54 viewers in Total Day.
The ratings for April 2013 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 524,000 Total Viewers / 177,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 390,000 Total Viewers / 142,000 A25-54
Compared to the same month last year, HLN is up +52% in Total Viewers and +43% in A25-54 viewers in Total Day. In Primetime, the network is up +40% and +37%, respectively. During the 9am-5pm daytime programming, HLN had triple digit growth across the board, up +146% in Total Viewers and +107% in the demographic.
Early afternoon program was up significantly compared to the same week last year. The 3pm-6pmET hours were all up triple digits in both Total Viewers and A25-54 viewers. The 3pmET hour of “HLN News” was up the most, +315% in Total Viewers and +290% in A25-54 viewers.
The network’s primetime programming was also up across the board this month. “Nancy Grace” was up +50% in Total Viewers and +38% in A25-54 viewers, and Dr. Drew Pinsky’s program was up +105% and +97%, respectively. “After Dark,” launched last month for the Arias trial, is up +58% and +55% compared to April 2012, when a re-air of Grace’s program aired in the 10pmET timeslot.
HLN’s release is after the jump.
HLN TOPS MSNBC IN TOTAL DAY DEMO IN APRIL 2013
“Morning Express with Robin Meade” Once Again Bests MSNBC’s “Morning Joe”
HLN Continues to Post Double Digit Gains Across Both Dayparts & Demos; Prime Programs Boast Triple & Double Digit Gains
- HLN topped MSNBC by +2% in Total Day among the coveted P25-54 demo (142k vs. 139k) in April 2013; MSNBC slipped to #4 for the month in Total Day P25-54 in cable news;
- HLN’s morning show, “Morning Express with Robin Meade” bested MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” by +8% in P25-54 (144k vs. 133k), marking the second consecutive monthly win;
- Fueled by continuing coverage of the Jodi Arias trial and several breaking news stories, HLN experienced double-digit gains in Total Day and Prime vs. prior year:
April 2013 vs. April 2012
+52% (390k vs. 257k)
+43% (142k vs. 99k)
+40% (524k vs. 374k)
+37% (177k vs. 129k)
- “Jane Velez-Mitchell” (M-F, 7-8 p.m. ET) posted 669k P2+ and 217k P25-54, a +99% and +97% increase, respectively vs. April 2012;
- “Nancy Grace” (M-F, 8-9 p.m. ET) posted 698k P2+ and 227k P25-54, a +50% and +38% increase, respectively vs. April 2012;
- “Dr. Drew on Call” (M-Th, 9-10 p.m. ET) posted 674k P2+ and 221k P25-54, a +117% and +105% increase, respectively vs. same month year ago;
- “HLN After Dark (M-Th, 10-11 p.m. ET) posted 486 P2+ and 172 P25-54, a +59% and +52% increase, respectivley, vs. same month year ago.
HLNtv.com, HLN’s online destination for users, delivered its second highest month for page views and video starts since its October 2011 launch (March 2013 is highest month). In April, the site served up 45.7M page views and 4.8M video starts, both up triple-digits vs. April 2012. The top article has remained “Jodi Arias trial: 180 evidence photos” for the second straight month, reaching more 73.5M page views to date since it’s January launch, 10.4M of which were viewed in April. Source: Omniture *Current month’s data measured from 4/1/13 – 4/29/13