WABC Restored on Cablevision as Oscar Rolls

Just minutes after the start of ABC’s broadcast of The Academy Awards, WABC, the network’s New York flagship, was back on Cablevision ending a very public retransmission feud.

After two years of negotiations, WABC pulled its signal from Cablevision Sunday (March 7), effecting 3 million subscribers in Long Island, Westchester, Brooklyn and the Bronx. Negotiations continued throughout the day as Congressional leaders urged both parties to come to some agreement.

“We’ve made significant progress, and have reached an agreement in principle that recognizes the fair value of ABC7, with deal points that we expect to finalize with Cablevision. Given this movement, we’re pleased to announce that ABC7 will return to Cablevision households while we work to complete our negotiations,” Rebecca Campbell, president and general manager of WABC said in a statement released 8:50 p.m. ET.

“We are happy to report that WABC Channel 7 has returned to Cablevision’s 3 million New York area homes. We are very grateful to our customers for their support and pleased to welcome ABC back,” said Charles Schueler, executive vp of communications for Cablevision.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. WABC had been seeking compensation apart from the $200 million Cablevision ABC Disney for ESPN and other cable channels.