Watchmen was the big winner at this year’s Television Critics Association (TCA) Awards.
The HBO miniseries, which is nominated for 26 Emmys this year, won four TCA Awards: Program of the Year (the evening’s top award); Outstanding Achievement in Movie, Miniseries or Special; Outstanding New Program; and Individual Achievement in Drama, which went to Regina King.
Another HBO program, Succession, was honored for Outstanding Achievement in Drama, while Pop TV’s Schitt’s Creek was recognized for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy (that sitcom’s star, Catherine O’Hara, was awarded for Individual Achievement in Comedy).
The TCA Awards, announced this afternoon, are usually presented at a ceremony in L.A. during the annual TCA summer press tour, but that was canceled this year due to Covid-19.
All of the winners named above will also be competing for Emmys on Sunday night.
Even though HBO is positioning Watchmen as a miniseries, given that showrunner Damon Lindelof intended it to only run for one season, many viewers and critics considered it a potentially ongoing series, which is why Watchmen was confusingly honored as both a miniseries and a new program.
Other honorees include ESPN’s The Last Dance, for Outstanding Achievement in News and Information, and HBO’s A Black Lady Sketch Show, which was honored for Outstanding Achievement in Variety/Sketch Shows.
Each year, the TCA also recognizes a classic television series with its Heritage Award, which is its version of a lifetime achievement award for TV shows. This year’s award went to Star Trek, which initially aired on NBC from 1966-1969 before spawning a sci-fi franchise that continues to this day with films and several series on CBS All Access.
Alex Trebek, who continues to host Jeopardy! as he battles stage 4 pancreatic cancer, won this year’s Career Achievement Award.
The awards are voted on by the more than 200 critics and journalists (including this writer) from the U.S. and Canada who make up the Television Critics Association.
Here is the complete list of 36th Annual TCA Award winners:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Regina King (Watchmen, HBO)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Catherine O’Hara (Schitt’s Creek, Pop TV)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: The Last Dance (ESPN)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: Cheer (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: Molly of Denali (PBS Kids)
- Outstanding Achievement in Sketch/Variety Shows: A Black Lady Sketch Show (HBO)
- Outstanding New Program: Watchmen (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies and Miniseries: Watchmen (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: Succession (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: Schitt’s Creek (Pop TV)
- Career Achievement Honoree: Alex Trebek
- Heritage Award: Star Trek
- Program of the Year: Watchmen (HBO)