Dateline NBC created a unique opportunity for fans of the show to watch Friday’s season premiere with Lester Holt and the show’s correspondents. Since Dateline is typically a bit of a mystery, staffers sent super fans of the show, who are active on social media, a puzzle invite with a photo of each correspondent and fan that will be paired up with on premiere night.
“Interacting with viewers on social media has been a big part of Dateline’s DNA for years. This Friday we’re taking it to a whole new level—in person. I can’t think of a time anyone has done anything quite like it,” Dateline NBC ep Liz Cole told Lost Remote.
- Lester Holt and several members of the Dateline staff will be at a bar in Midtown with some local fans.
- Dennis Murphy and producer Tom Keenan will be going to Nashville, Tenn., to visit @NatalieBannon runner up for last year’s #DontWatchAlone contest and long-time member of the @DatelineDivas.
- Andrea Canning and producer Ann Preisman will be going to Florida to spend time with Guiselle Cruz, known on twitter as @CGuiselle.
- Josh Mankiewicz and AP Marika Price will be going to Baltimore to visit blood-cancer survivor Bonnie Downing, known on twitter as @BonnieDee3.
- Keith Morrison and producers Michelle Madigan, Shane Bishop will be visiting Emily Shotwell in Los Angeles. Emily runs an account on Instagram called: KeithLeansOnThings devoted entirely to…. Morrison, leaning on things.
All correspondents will be live-tweeting the East Coast feed from these various cities throughout the premiere and Dateline will be sending party bags and assorted goodies to several people who have expressed love for the news magazine via social media.