Twitch is about to be taken over this weekend, but it’s for a good cause.
ATTN:, former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Rev. Al Sharpton, the University of Southern California, the USC Race and Equity Center, the USC Safe Communities Institute and the USC Schwarzenegger Institute teamed up on Unfinished Business: Race and Equity in America, a live summit that will be presented on Twitch Friday through Sunday (Oct. 16 through 18),
The goal of Unfinished Business is to spark dynamic conversations about the economy, education, environmental justice, healthcare, policing, race and voting rights, with a particular eye toward the next generation of Americas, and the livestreamed panels will include academic experts, celebrities, executives, political leaders, public servants and thinkers from a range of industries.
ATTN: is producing the event for Twitch.
Programming will be livestreamed from noon to 4 p.m. PT/3 p.m. to 7 p.m. ET each day. A full schedule is available here, and highlights include:
Friday, Oct. 16
- Panels: Race & Public Safety, Race & Sports and Race & Housing featuring Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), Nate Boyer, RaShall Brackney (chief of police in Charlottesville, Va.), Bisa French (chief of police in Richmond, Calif.), Reshanda Gray, Ange-Marie Hancock Alfaro, Brandon Marshall and Erroll Southers.
- Interview No. 1: Schwarzenegger and former Attorney General Eric Holder.
- Interview No. 2: Schwarzenegger and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson.
- Interview No. 3: Soledad O’Brien and Usher.
- Interview No. 4: Steve Stoute and Nas.
- Remarks: Alexis Ohanian.
Saturday, Oct. 17
- Panels: Race & Voting Rights, Race & Nerd Culture, Race & Hollywood and Race & Gaming featuring Tanya DePass (aka CypherofTyr), Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas), Valerie Jarrett, Michael Klarman, Jay-Ann Lopez, Andre Meadows, Ify Nwadiwe (aka Ifdeez), Anthony Otero, Rishi Rajani, Romola Ratnam, Rashad Redic, Camille Gear Rich, Tricia Rose and Baratunde Thurston.
Sunday, Oct. 18
- Panels: Race & Education and Millennial + GenZ Forum featuring Miles Brown, Shaun Harper, MURS, former Secretary of Education Rod Paige, Maya Penn, Storymodebae and Lexi Underwood.
- Interview No. 1: Schwarzenegger and Sharpton.
- Interview No. 2: Schwarzenegger and Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.
Twitch senior vice president of content Michael Aragon said in a statement, “Twitch has always been a place for our community to gather and openly engage with one another, and we are honored to partner with this incredible group of activists to host this conversation. We’re bringing together people from around the world and across cultures, and on Twitch, everyone will have the opportunity to share diverse perspectives, learn from each other and discuss some of the most important topics we’re facing today.”
ATTN: vp of production Taye Shuayb added, “ATTN: is always looking to find unique ways to engage our audience on the important, and sometimes difficult, conversations on the issues at stake in our country. This is exactly the kind of open dialogue we need to be having on race, and I’m proud that ATTN: is partnering to create it in a forum that is accessible for young people.”
Schwarzenegger said, “We’ve seen millions of our fellow citizens take to the streets to demand equality, and it is our duty as Americans to listen to them. Our summit will put a spotlight on leaders all over the country who are fighting for reform, because we have heard enough dialogue, and now it is time for action. I don’t believe in summits where we all talk just to hear ourselves talk—I want our summit to focus on concrete policies that we can enact now, to create a new era of civil rights. As someone who owes this country everything, I can’t stand that a Black kid born in Minneapolis doesn’t have the same opportunity as a white bodybuilder born in Thal, Austria. It is time for change to finish the job our founding fathers started.”