IBT Media Exec Died ‘Doing What He Loved to Do’

Avid bicyclist Tom Steinert-Threlkeld did not suffer and, as his wife Kayte also wrote Monday on Facebook, died “doing what he loved to do.” Still, New York’s media community is in mourning today over the sudden loss of the recently hired editorial director of IBT Media’s B2B publishing division.

The driver of one of two vehicles involved in the Sunday October 20 road accident in Bethel, CT fled the scene and is at press time still being sought. A memorial service for Steinert-Threlkeld will be held this Saturday at 11 a.m. at Cobb’s Mill Inn in Weston. From today’s obituary:

He was a lifelong journalist involved in investigating and explaining how technology is used to achieve business goals…

He conceived and founded Baseline magazine, which specifically examined how businesses achieved or failed to achieve their objectives, through the use of information systems, in 2001. Within four years, he and his team made it as finalists for General Excellence in the National Magazine Awards presented by the American Society of Magazine Editors.

Steinert-Threlkeld, a native of New Jersey, also worked over the course of his career for ZDNet, the Dallas Morning News, Broadcasting & Cable and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Just last month, the 59-year-old media vet was promising that while “most news organizations report the five ‘Ws’ (Who, What, Where, When and Why),” his IBT Media venture was going to add a sixth – What to Do About It.

On his personal cycling blog Edge of the Road, Steinert-Threlkeld recalled the following as his “Greatest Cycling Memory:”

Riding out of Chattanooga, TN, in 1995, during a cross-country ride with the Pacific-Atlantic Cycling Tour. A hurricane was blowing through, at dawn. So we had a choice of not riding. But for those of us committed to riding every inch of this ride, it wasn’t a question. And the weirdest thing happened: We went west for four miles – with the gale wind at our tail. We turned south for 11 miles – and the wind was again at our tail. Then we headed east for the rest of the day – and the wind was at our tail again. By 50 miles out, we were totally soaked. But, boy, we made great time!


[Photo source: edgeoftheroad.com]

Recommended articles