Social Media Newsfeed: LinkedIn Buys Pulse | Twitter Music App

LinkedIn Acquires Pulse News Reader and Publishing Platform for $90 Million (SocialTimes) In a move to make LinkedIn “the definitive professional publishing platform,” the company has acquired Pulse, the makers of a news reader and mobile content distribution platform. The company sold for approximately $90 million, 90 percent of which will be stock; the remaining 10 percent will be cash, according to LinkedIn.

Click here to receive the Morning Social Media Newsfeed via email.

 

LinkedIn Acquires Pulse News Reader and Publishing Platform for $90 Million (SocialTimes)
In a move to make LinkedIn “the definitive professional publishing platform,” the company has acquired Pulse, the makers of a news reader and mobile content distribution platform. The company sold for approximately $90 million, 90 percent of which will be stock; the remaining 10 percent will be cash, according to LinkedIn. AllThingsD The app, which collects news articles from a range of topics chosen by users and presents them in a clean, stylish format, rose to the top of Apple’s App Store ranks just a few years ago, quickly becoming a favorite among the many newsreaders currently available. Pulse currently claims more than 30 million users globally who read more than 10 million stories daily using the app. The Next Web “Following closing, members of the Pulse team, including those from Engineering, Product and Design, will join LinkedIn at the company’s Mountain View, Calif., headquarters. The existing Pulse apps will continue to be supported as the integrated Pulse and LinkedIn teams work to build future generations of professional content consumption products,” the press release says. ReadWrite The only problem LinkedIn has on its current website is that its tools for reading, saving and sharing content leave something to be desired. That’s where Pulse comes in. TechCrunch Pulse was founded in 2010 by Akshay Kothari and Ankit Gupta while they were still students at Standford University. The service started out as an iPad app, but quickly expanded to other platforms, including the web.

Twitter Confirms Acquisition of Music Service We are Hunted (CNET)
We Are Hunted announced Thursday that it has been acquired by Twitter, confirming a CNET report that the music discovery service was already being integrated with the microblogging site’s music products. In a tweet, Twitter also confirmed the acquisition. ZDNET As part of the acquisition, the Brisbane, Australia-founded startup announced that it is shutting down its existing services and closing user accounts. Its core function was to monitor various social media outlets and determine what artists and songs were trending at the time. Mashable Ryan Seacrest claims he’s using Twitter’s much-rumored music app — and is loving it. The American Idol host posted a tweet Wednesday evening indicating that he was playing with the unreleased app, confirming its existence.

Facebook Acquires Mobile Software Startup Osmeta (AllFacebook)
Speaking of acquisitions, mobile software startup Osmeta became the latest Facebook acquisition, but it was not yet clear whether the transaction included any technology or was simply an acqu-hire. TechCrunch reported on the deal, saying that Osmeta has not released any commercial products, and adding that the company launched in August 2011, founded by former Google and IBM employee Amit Singh and ex-IBMer Mark Smith, with 17 employees who were all engineers.

 

Half a Million Flipboard Magazines Created in the Last Two Weeks (VentureBeat)
Over 500,000 magazines have been created since Flipboard rolled out a new version of its app, which includes the ability for users to make their own digital publications. Flipboard 2.0 offers users the ability to aggregate content including articles, photos, audio and video into their own magazines, turning everyone into a reader and an editor.

How Are Small Businesses Using Social Media (and What are They Doing Wrong)? [Infographic] (AllTwitter)
Indeed, more than 70 percent of SMBs spend less than $500 per annum on social media marketing, and that fact – that it’s inexpensive – is the number one reason why these firms turn to social media. Ease of use and access to customers already using these platforms were also cited as important benefits.