Have you ever considered using Instagram as more than just a photo- and video-sharing application? What if I told you that you can use Instagram as an idea collection app, where you can save all of the photos and videos you like in a private album, which you can access later to find inspiration when you’re in need?
Let me introduce Instagram bookmarks, the feature that helps you save your posts in different, private collections.
This feature is a great way to do research and find some inspirational ideas and moods that can help you do a better job.
Let’s say that you are looking for some inspiration on Instagram to do some creative things. You can create a collection based on your project’s needs, on things you like and on things that you believe will be useful someday.
For example, let’s say that you are looking for some Instagram feed ideas that will make your profile look professional. Start by following accounts that you find interesting and that post a consistent theme of photos. Then you can easily bookmark the photos you like and create a collection out of them.
Note: These screenshots were captured in the Instagram app on iOS.
To bookmark the photos or videos you see on Instagram, you’ve got two options:
- Tap the bookmark icon at the bottom of the photo or video that you want to save. It will be saved in a private section on your profile.
- Tap the bookmark icon and hold it. In this way, you can save it to a collection you already created or create a new one.
How to create private collections for your bookmarks:
There are two ways to create a private collection on Instagram. You can create a collection while you navigate through your feed and find something interesting, and you can do so before you bookmark the visual.
Here’s how you can create collection while saving a photo or a video:
- Tap and hold the bookmark icon. Then tap the plus icon in the top-right corner.
- Name your collection and tap “Done.” Now your collection is created with your bookmarked photo or video in it.
- To make sure that you created a collection, Instagram will instantly show a top notification with the “Saved to (Collection Name)” message.
Here’s how you can create a collection before you bookmark a visual:
- Go to your profile and tap the bookmark icon.
- Tap the bookmark icon in the top-right corner.
- Name your collection, and then tap next.
- Select any saved posts you want to add to your collection, and then tap done.
- You can also edit your collection or add other saved posts after you’ve created it.
- Just tap the three dots in the top-right corner and then select “Edit Collection.”
- Here you can change the cover of your collection, change the name of your collection or delete it.
- When you are ready, just tap done.
Instagram is becoming more and more of a digital tool that every marketer wants to use, with the help of these recently implemented features.
From a social media perspective, bookmarking and archiving posts and Stories is a great way to engage with the community. From an advertising perspective, we have photo ads, video ads and the recently launched Stories ads that help advertisers get in front of their audience much faster than before.
So, there are tremendous opportunities to use Instagram as a marketing tool. For example, if you want to use Instagram Stories, here is a great guide that will help you post regularly every day for an entire week.
Robert Katai is a visual marketer and brand evangelist for online banner creator Bannersnack.