The business directory and crowdsourced review forum shared details Wednesday on its five most popular flavors for fall 2020:
- Pumpkin and pumpkin spice: Yelp said searches for pumpkin spice lattes were up 72% year-over-year in late September, while pumpkin pie was up 66% and pumpkin cheesecake up a whopping 242%.
- Brown sugar boba: Searches for this new decadent drink flavor were up 200% year-over-year.
- Mochi: Searches for mochi were up 96% year-over-year, while searches for mochi donuts were up 458%.
- Apple: Apple cider donuts saw a 117% year-over-year search spike, while the quest for socially distanced outdoor activities drove apple picking up 55%.
- Suadero tacos: Searches for suadero tacos skyrocketed 6,218% year-over-year.
On the Oktoberfest front, Yelp noted that while searches for beer types and breweries were down, the opposite was true for craft beer stores (up 26%).
Yelp trend expert Tara Lewis said in a statement, “At Yelp, we’re seeing people return to the comforting flavors of apple, brown sugar and pumpkin this fall, opting to enjoy the flavors in their favorite drinks and desserts. Whether they’re dining in or out, people are also eager to try suadero tacos, a delicious beef taco, making waves this season.”