Facebook introduced its Profile Expression Kit at its F8 global developers conference in April, and Thursday, the social network announced that it is available to Android and iOS developers worldwide.
The Profile Expression Kit enables application users to tinker with their profile pictures and videos, and apps that have already deployed it include Prisma (pictured below) and Flixel.
Benefits to developers include increased visibility due to their branding being a part of new profile pictures or videos created via apps using Profile Expression Kit.
Starting today, Android and iOS developers worldwide can download the Profile Expression Kit SDK (software-development kit) and integrate it into their apps.
We’ve designed the Profile Expression Kit so people can create fun and personality-infused Facebook profile pictures and videos in the apps they are already using to create and edit photos and videos. App developers enjoy attribution and brand awareness within News Feed every time someone uploads a profile picture or video created by their app.
She also provided the following steps for developers interested in Profile Expression Kit:
- Read the documentation.
- Download the SDK.
- Integrate the SDK into your app.
- Submit your app for review (this is a required step before the Profile Expression Kit will work).
Before Profile Expression Kit will work, your app must go through our app review process. Here are some of the things we’ll look for as we consider submissions:
- Apps that have the primary purpose of creating and editing photos or videos.
- Apps that encourage people to take selfie photos and videos with the front-facing camera.
- Apps that do not include ads or commercial content, such as logos and watermarks, in photos and videos.
In addition, all apps must comply with our Profile Expression Kit Platform Policy to be accepted.
Readers: What are your thoughts on the global availability of Facebook’s Profile Expression Kit?