PDAnet Free Version Initial Impression: Thumbs Up After One 3G Tethering Test Session

Yesterday I asked…

Verizon Droid Tethering, PDAnet, What Android Tethering Solution Works?

This question arose because of a ZDNet article that mentioned the PDAnet for Android tethering app was flaky. I was out of the office all day yesterday. My T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 has a built-in tethering feature. Unfortunately, there was a weak T-Mobile signal limited to EDGE data speeds at my lunch location. My non-jailbroken iPhone with AT&T 3G service does not, of course, provide tethering. That left my Motorola Droid with Verizon 3G service at my lunch location.

I installed the free Windows client on my Asus Eee PC T91MT netbook running Windows 7. I used the free version of PDAnet (the full version is $29) on my Droid. After connecting the Droid to the netbook using a USB cable, I fired up the PDAnet clients on both ends. After a couple of button clicks, a simple Ping test in a command window verified that I was on the net.

A couple of minor issues appeared. But, I assume that is because of the free version’s limitation to non-SSL sites (no HTTPS). However, it seemed like I had a mostly usuable 3G session for the 30+ minutes or so I spent trying out PDAnet. I didn’t see any serious show stoppers during this initial test.

My plan to is to test the free version for another few days (maybe up to a week). If all goes well and the Verizon wireless data police don’t come after me, I may spring for the app’s $29 price tag.

PDAnet for Android (product page)