Author Marti Rulli Comments on Latest Natalie Wood News

Five pages into the autopsy report for Natalie Wood begins the reason for today’s chilling headlines: a re-evaluation begun May 12, 2012 and signed off by Coroner’s Office chief medical examiner Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran on June 15. The information is what led the cause of death on Wood’s to be expanded to “drowning and other undetermined factors.”

We decided to check in with author Marti Rulli to get her take on today’s developments. “The main point that needs to be made I think is that this is an independent report from the Coroner’s Office,” Rulli says. “It’s the forensics and science end of the investigation, and when it corresponds with the information gathered by the LA Sheriff’s Department and their ongoing investigation, then the department will be able to put together their most logical explanation regarding Natalie’s final night.”

“The important details include the 300 cc’s of urine in Natalie’s bladder,” she continues. “It’s likely she would have released her bladder if alive in the water for any length of time. There also exists no evidence that Natalie clung to a float-away dinghy and that is huge because it disposes of the long-time theory that that’s what happened the night she died. There’s also no evidence of Natalie having scratched the dinghy in an effort to climb aboard it.”

In the book Goodbye Natalie Goodbye Splendor, Rulli detailed how she tested what happens to someone struggling to stay afloat in the water while wearing wool socks like the ones found on Wood’s body. “In my tests, the socks came off within a minute with minimal movement. Natalie was found wearing her socks, so it’s unlikely she moved at all in the water.”

“What all this previously neglected information implies is staggering, and hopefully we will receive answers in the near future… What is gratifying is that Natalie Wood is getting the attention she has deserved for so long.”

The additional autopsy information and speculated midnight time-of-death may also potentially clash with aspects of the “ear witness” accounts given by a couple aboard a neighboring yacht at the time of Wood’s death. Rulli agrees: “This new information actually suggests Natalie might not have been able to scream from the water. The eye and ear witness reports are more crucial than ever to sort out at this point. That’s why the investigation will continue, and this is a full-time investigation by homicide detectives.”

Previously on FishbowlLA:
One Year Later, Natalie Wood Author Points to the Bruises
Breaking Down Last Night’s 48 Hours-Natalie Wood Updates