Morning Media Newsfeed: Court Orders Video Down | Former Editor Stabbed | TiVo Posts Profit

[emailonly]{{{ sbox300x250 }}}[/emailonly] Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

YouTube Ordered to Take Down Anti-Muslim Film (The Associated Press / The Big Story)
A U.S. appeals court ordered YouTube on Wednesday to take down an anti-Muslim film that sparked violent riots in parts of the Middle East and death threats to the actors. The decision by a divided three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco reinstated a lawsuit filed against YouTube by an actress who appeared briefly in the 2012 video that led to rioting and deaths because of its negative portrayal of the Prophet Muhammad. U.S. News & World Report A trailer promoting the film was blamed for murderous rampages in Muslim-majority countries in 2012 and was initially cited by some U.S. officials as the cause of the Sept. 11, 2012, attack that killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens in Benghazi, Libya. Time The appeals court found that the copyright of one of the stars of the video had been infringed upon because the actress, Cindy Lee Garcia, agreed to appear in something other than what was produced. The film, entitled Innocence of Muslims, depicted the prophet Mohammed as a liar and a child molester. “Garcia’s performance was used in a way that she found abhorrent and her appearance in the film subjected her to threats of physical harm and even death,” chief judge Alex Kozinski wrote for the majority court. The Verge It’s well established that most people involved in Innocence of Muslims had no idea they were appearing in a diatribe against Islam. Garcia was paid $500 for a bit part in sword and sandals movie Desert Warrior, but she later found her footage had been edited for the new film and overdubbed with one of the most controversial lines: “Is your Mohammed a child molester?”

Former Editor of Hong Kong Newspaper Stabbed Amid Media Tensions (Reuters)
A former chief editor of a major Hong Kong newspaper known for its critical reporting was stabbed and seriously wounded on Wednesday in an attack that has fueled concerns about what many see as an erosion of media freedoms. A man in a helmet attacked Kevin Lau, former chief editor of the Ming Pao daily, in broad daylight on a leafy harborfront street, slashing him in the back several times. The assailant rode off on a motorcycle with an accomplice. CNN Lau, who was walking to his car at the time of the attack, was left bleeding with life-threatening injuries to a lung, his wife told journalists. Lau was taken to the city’s Eastern Hospital and was reported to be in critical condition. WSJ Lau was chief editor of the Ming Pao newspaper until his firing last month, which touched off protests over the decline of press freedom and other civil liberties in the semi-autonomous territory. Time Although no explicit link has been made, speculation is rife that the attack was somehow connected to the protests. Many local journalists claimed that Lau’s removal was punishment for pursuing corruption and human-rights stories deemed embarrassing to Beijing. Ming Pao is owned by Malaysian tycoon Tiong Hiew King, who has business interests in China.

TiVo Swings to Profit, Adds Subscribers (MarketWatch)
TiVo Inc. swung to a profit as the maker of television set-top boxes continued to add subscribers. The company also unveiled plans to repurchase an additional $100 million of its shares in the fiscal first quarter. Reuters The company said it added 319,000 net subscribers in the quarter ended Jan. 31, including 313,000 subscribers in its cable and satellite television business, which provides digital video recording service through its own and service providers’ set-top boxes. Deadline New York Total subscriptions increased 33.7 percent from last year to 4.2 million. This also was the first time in six years that the company reported an increase in the number of people who bought DVR service directly from TiVo as opposed to through a cable or satellite company.