Morning Media Newsfeed: Coulson Gets 18 Months | SiriusXM Fires Opie & Anthony‘s Cumia

[emailonly]{{{ sbox300x250 }}}[/emailonly] Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Andy Coulson Gets 18 Months in Tabloid Phone Hacking (NYT)
Andy Coulson, a former senior editor in Rupert Murdoch’s news empire and a onetime adviser to Prime Minister David Cameron, was sentenced on Friday to 18 months in prison for his part in the phone hacking scandal that convulsed Britain’s press, police and political elite and inspired calls for tighter regulation of journalists. HuffPost / AP Coulson was convicted June 24 after an eight-month trial triggered by a tabloid-wrongdoing scandal that led Murdoch to shut down the News of The World in 2011. Another former editor, Rebekah Brooks, and four others were acquitted. The Guardian The offense carries a maximum sentence of two years’ imprisonment, but Coulson received a discount of several months for his previous good character. He could be out in less than nine months because, as a non-violent offender, he is required to serve just half his sentence. THR Three other former News of the World staffers and one private investigator who hacked phones for the paper also pleaded guilty to hacking and also received their sentences Friday. They are former news desk editors Greg Miskiw, James Weatherup and Neville Thurlbeck, as well as Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator who was used for hacking. Miskiw and Thurlbeck were sentenced to six months each, Weatherup got a suspended sentence of four months, and Mulcaire was given a suspended sentence of six months. Variety Coulson faces a retrial along with former royals editor Clive Goodman on separate charges that they made illegal payments to police officers to obtain royal phone directories. Over a period of more than a decade, journalists at the now-shuttered Sunday paper listened in on thousands of voicemails belonging to celebrities, politicians and crime victims.

SiriusXM Shows Anthony Cumia The Door (FishbowlNY)
Anthony Cumia’s Twitter feed on Friday was a tale of two constituencies. The fired co-host of Opie & Anthony is re-tweeting both supportive messages of SiriusXM membership cancellation and responding to other declarations from people who applaud the satellite broadcaster’s decision. New York Post Longtime shock jock Cumia was fired from his radio gig after unleashing a racially charged Twitter rant on Tuesday. SiriusXM made the decision to release Cumia after he took to the social media website to vent about a run in he had with a black woman in Times Square. Mashable Cumia’s remarks and postings, including tweets and retweets that were degrading to women, were “abhorrent” to SiriusXM, company spokesperson Patrick Reilly said Friday. Cumia’s response Friday on Twitter included an obscenity in relation to SiriusXM. He said he was fired over material that was not aired, and was not illegal. Rolling Stone Cumia is no stranger to controversy. Along with co-host Gregg Hughes (known as Opie), he has punctuated his radio career with stunts that have gotten him in hot water with employers. In 1998, the pair were fired from a Boston-area radio station for an April Fool’s hoax that claimed the mayor had been killed in a traffic accident. Their show was then canceled by Infinity Broadcasting in 2002 after promoting a contest that led to a couple calling in to say they were having sex in New York’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

Google Reinstates European Links to Articles From The Guardian (NYT)
Google’s efforts to carry out a European court order on the “right to be forgotten” took another twist on Friday as the company restored search-engine links to several newspaper articles from The Guardian whose delinking had stirred a public furor only a day earlier. PBS Newshour / The Rundown The move came after Google notified British media outlets, The Guardian and the BBC that links to some articles would no longer be visible on their search engine after they received complaints to have the links removed. Outcry citing censorship and media freedom immediately followed, and to some, highlighted the lack of transparency about how the ruling would be overseen. Bloomberg The Guardian said Thursday that Google informed it of the removal of six links to its articles, citing the EU ruling on the so-called right to be forgotten. The Telegraph, also based in London, said Google told it that links to two 2010 articles about Scottish soccer referee Dougie McDonald had been reinstated. HuffPost / Reuters The incidents underscore the uncertainty around how Google intends to adhere to a May European court ruling that gave its citizens the “right to be forgotten,” i.e. to request the scrubbing of links to articles that pop up under a name search. Privacy advocates say the backlash around press censorship highlights the potential dangers of the ruling and its unwieldiness in practice. That in turn may benefit Google by stirring debate about the soundness of the ruling, which the Internet search leader criticized from the outset. Google, which has received more than 70,000 requests, began acting upon them in past days.