To activate the Donation sticker on Instagram Live, users can tap the camera in the top-left corner of feed or swipe right, and then tap Live at the bottom of the screen, select Fundraiser and choose from over 1 million nonprofits to support, with 100% of the funds raised going directly to the organization picked by the user.
Once the broadcast begins, Instagrammers can see how many people are supporting the fundraiser and how much was raised in real-time, and tapping View brings up a breakdown of donors and individual contributions. Tapping Wave enables the user to thank donors in real-time.
Users can also go Live with other people or bring in different people to host a telethon-style fundraiser.
Anyone who creates or donates to an Instagram Live fundraiser will unlock a special custom “I Donated” sticker created by Brazilian community illustrator Leo Natsume that can be added to a shared Story at the front of the Stories bar for a limited time.
Instagram said several public figures and creators will use the new tool this week to support causes they care about. The schedule follows (all times ET).
Tuesday, April 28:
- 12:30 p.m.: Sergio Ramos, on behalf of UNICEF
- 3 p.m.: Sofia Carson with special guests, on behalf of UNICEF
- 3 p.m.: @muslimgirl celebrating Ramadan with special guests, on behalf of the CDC Foundation
- 4 p.m.: @montoyatwinz, on behalf of Feeding America
- 4 p.m.: Tori Kelly, on behalf of Feeding America
Wednesday, April 29:
- @tank.sinatra telethon with special guests, on behalf of Noble Light Foundation and True Hero Fund
Thursday, April 30: