Important Tax Tips for Bloggers, Freelancers


The April 15 tax-filing deadline is nearly upon us, and if you get paid for a living to blog or write for digital and/or print publications, the process can seem a bit more daunting than for those media pros whose sole income comes from a 9-to-5 gig.

There are so many questions to ask yourself: Will you file annually or quarterly? Are you considered a sole proprietor or an LLC? If you’re married, is it a good idea to file separately or jointly with your spouse? All of these conundrums are answered in our latest Journalism Advice column.

For starters: [William Perez, tax practitioner and freelance writer] recommends familiarizing yourself with the forms 1040, Schedule C and Schedule SE. Print them off, read them and get acquainted with which items are deductible.” It also helps to have the right resources at hand:

You don’t need to get a degree in accounting to be smart about your tax planning as a freelancer. Set small goals for yourself. Schedule a meeting with a CPA (many will do a free consultation), start a free online trial of a business accounting software program that looks good to you — or take a course like Mediabistro’s Freelancing 101, which includes a section on personal finance.

To hear more tax advice, including what mistakes to avoid, read: Tax Tips for Freelance Writers.

The full version of this article is exclusively available to Mediabistro AvantGuild subscribers. If you’re not a member yet, register now for as little as $55 a year for access to hundreds of articles like this one, discounts on Mediabistro seminars and workshops, and all sorts of other bonuses.

@aneyafernando Aneya Fernando is digital projects manager at Adweek.