Facebook announced that Facebook Chat could now be integrated into third party IM clients earlier this week. No longer are you restricted to using the official Facebook site to interact with chat. Facebook Chat now utilizes the XMPP Chat protocol, which allows users to immediately reap the benefits of the release — without having to wait for developers to update their chat clients.
Any third party IM client (such as Pidgin, iChat, Adium, Digsby) can now utilize the Facebook Chat service. Below, we detail the setup process for the popular Pidgin IM client, though the generic server details are enough to connect through any client supporting XMPP or Jabber (see step 3).
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: [your current Facebook username] (see step 1)
- Domain: chat.facebook.com
1. Currently, you’ll need a Facebook Username (ie, facebook.com/mikeknoop). If you haven’t already set one up, click here to do so.
2. Open up Pidgin, Click Accounts, then Manage Accounts. Now click Add.
3. Fill in the Basic tab with the following details:
- Resource: [unused, you may leave blank]
- Password: [your current Facebook password]
4. On the Advanced tab, make sure all SSL options are unchecked.
5. Click Add. You’re done!
Note: If your client does not support XMPP but supports Jabber, simply use [username]@chat.facebook.com as your Jabber ID.
You’ll notice that your buddy list is now automatically populated with your Facebook friends who are online.