Facebook closed the third quarter of 2017 with 2.072 billion monthly users and 1.368 billion daily users.
Facebook saw a 3.2 percent quarter-over-quarter rise in daily users, from 1.325 billion, and a 16 percent year-over-year gain, from 1.179 billion.
Other stats and milestones revealed by the company in its third-quarter-2017 financial results and earnings call Wednesday included:
- Facebook has more than 6 million active advertisers, while Instagram surpassed 2 million.
- 70 percent of video ad breaks of up to 15 seconds in length were viewed to completion on Facebook and Facebook Audience Network, mostly with the sound on.
- More than 20 million businesses are using Messenger to communicate with customers and potential customers.
- Instagram topped 500 million daily users.
- More than 300 million people use Instagram Stories daily.
- More than 30,000 companies are using Workplace by Facebook, the social network’s answer to Slack.
- More than 550 million people are using Facebook Marketplace, which was rolled out in Canada and 17 countries across Europe during the third quarter.
- WhatsApp Status topped 300 million daily users.
- Revenue from small and midsized businesses in Europe was one of the company’s strongest areas, growing by more than 60 percent year-over-year.
- Facebook implemented a new methodology to help identify duplicate accounts—accounts used by the same person, representing actual activity and engagement—and it upped its estimate for those accounts to 10 percent of worldwide monthly users, from 6 percent.
- Facebook also increased its estimate for fake accounts to approximately 2 percent to 3 percent of worldwide monthly users, saying that these accounts tend to be less active.