Social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter have attracted a lot of celebrity attention, and the aftermath has been a mixed bag of wins and fails, when it comes to their use of the medium. Here are a few recent incidents. You’ll note that ‘Hole’ singer Courtney Love could be part of a list all on her own.
- Win: Demi Moore and Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) help stop a suicide by responding to a distress message.
- Fail: Ryan Seacrest announces American Idol contestant Lacey Brown’s elimination… before West Coast viewers see the episode, potentially being the reason for the worst per-episode ratings this season.
- Win: Director Kevin Smith gets thrown off a Southwest Air flight for which he was already seated. Why? Because he was apparently “too fat”. He tweets about it to his 1.6M Twitter followers and creates a PR nightmare for the airline, causing them to issue an apology.
- Fail: Courtney Love, whose mouth just won’t quit, has had public spats with several celebs and keeps giving apologies, often on Twitter, sometimes on Facebook. Love’s recent victims include Smashing Pumpkins’ lead singer Billy Corgan, actor/ ex-boyfriend Ed Norton, and pop singer Lilly Allen. Gee Courtney, why don’t you just stop using social media. Maybe that’s why you couldn’t get a certain Twitter account verified?
- Undecided: Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen also has a knack for stirring up controversy via his Twitter account. This includes complaining about being bored in spring training camp, and recently picking on actor Sean Penn’s defense of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. Personally, I’m not sure why celebs feel the need to tell us how to think politically. Depending on how you feel, these instances are either wins or fails.
Discovered any other recent wins/ fails committed by celebrities using social media? Let us know in the comments.
Image credit: Kevin Smith’s Twitter profile.