Temerlin Ends an Airline’s TV Layover

DALLAS American Airlines is preparing to break television ads aimed specifically at business travelers after a nearly three-year hiatus.

Temerlin McClain’s three 30-second television spots, which break tomorrow on local channels in Chicago, Los Angeles and New York, feature customers giving quick comments about the things they want in an airline and find in American.

One spot focuses on the destinations available to people who redeem frequent-flier miles. A group of travelers, their words strung together, say, “It’s one thing to get all these miles, but where are they getting me?” As onscreen copy reads, “850 Aadvantage Award destinations worldwide,” a voiceover says, “Next time you fly, get a lot more airline on American Airlines.” The spot closes with one person saying, “I’ve got worldwide advantage miles on American Airlines.”

The two other spots follow the same format, but travelers talk instead about American’s extensive network. Onscreen text states, “3900 flights a day. 250 cities worldwide.” Both ads end with people giving their names and saying, “I fly American Airlines.”

Bill Oakley, senior vice president and group creative director at Temerlin, said American felt it was time to remind business travelers “of large-network carrier attributes,” like a vast schedule that often allows passengers to catch another flight if they have missed their original one. “If you’re on a low-fare carrier [and miss a flight], you may not have another option,” he said.

Oakley added that some core attributes of large carriers are taken for granted, like international networks. For instance, he said, “Miles at low-fare carrier airlines will still not get you out of the country,” he said.

The testimonial format follows a campaign the Irving, Texas-based Interpublic Group shop broke in the spring featuring leisure travelers who comment on the great fares.

The campaign will also run on national cable and will have print and online components. The agency found its cast by talking with some 700 people over seven days at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago. Of the more than 20 who were chosen to participate, about 30 percent were from Chicago. The other 70 percent were flown back to O’Hare for the three-day filming, Oakley said.

Independent Zubi Advertising in Coral Gables, Fla., developed a Spanish-language version of the spots aimed at both leisure and business travelers.

Spending for the efforts is undisclosed. Fort Worth, Texas-based American spent $60 million on media last year, according to Nielsen Monitor-Plus.