GM Dealers Seeking an Injunction
DETROIT–A group of Illinois General Motors dealers that are suing the automaker to block its new field marketing program have requested a preliminary injunction to temporarily stall the implementation of the new system until the lawsuit can be decided. The request was filed in Cook County Circuit Court on March 25, and the two parties are scheduled to be back before the judge April 6. GM’s program, which took effect April 1, replaces a previous marketing arrangement under which money collected from dealers was returned to dealer marketing groups [Adweek, Dec. 21]. The new guidelines call for those marketing dollars to remain in GM’s hands to fund local programs, with GM’s Local Communications unit handling local media buying. The lawsuit, filed by the dealers and their trade associations, alleges GM’s new program violates the Illinois Motor Vehicle Franchise Act.
Colle & McVoy Shareholders Approve Sale
CHICAGO–Shareholders of Colle & McVoy overwhelmingly accepted a buyout offer from Toronto-based MDC Communications. Nearly 85 percent of the Minneapolis agency’s direct shareholders and those in the employee stock ownership plan approved the merger. Under terms of the agreement, MDC will own an 80 percent share, with agency management owning the remaining 20 percent.
3 in Stretch Run for Bluegrass Tourism
ATLANTA–After hearing presentations from eight in-state agencies last week, the Kentucky Tourism Development Cabinet has reduced the field to three finalists for its $3.5 million ad account. The remaining shops, all based in Louisville, are incumbent Creative Alliance, Paul Schultz Advertising and Ott Communications. Ousted were The Beam Group, Doe-Anderson, Power Creative and Sheehy & Associates, all Louisville; and Ad-Success of Lexington.
M/W Furnished With New Account
CHICAGO–Martin/Williams in Minneapolis picked up advertising duties for Lexington Furniture, agency officials said. The Lexington, N.C.-based company markets furniture licensed by Nautica and Arnold Palmer. Billings were estimated at $5 million.
Cleveland Dental Group Rinses Agency Search
ATLANTA–Crittenden Advertising of Raleigh, N.C., won a shootout against Cleveland’s Liggett-Stashower to land advertising and marketing on the estimated $4 million account of DentalCare Partners, Cleveland.
Accounts Roundup … Aeropostale Taps Bozell
Bozell Chicago was named agency of record for retail clothing company Aeropostale. The agency’s first task will be a back-to-school campaign. … Beltone Electronics Corp., which manufactures hearing aids, turned to Euro RSCG Tatham here to handle its estimated $3 million account following a review that included Laughlin/Constable, Chicago.