Everyone has their end of year lists and we, while more fun, are no different. We’re calling ours the ‘The No Shit List To End All Lists.’ Long winded perhaps, but you get the idea.
We asked a bunch of big deal advertising shop owners, ECDs and a-plus bloggers to answer a series of questions. Now, we promised them all anonymity (when you see the questions, you’ll understand why), but feel free to guess away at who are participants may be. We thank them all.
If you would like to answer these questions to, send us your responses and we’ll post them. Or, do like the great blog Daily Ad Biz did – post your answers on your blog.
Nameless Advertising Honcho #4
1. What was the worst campaign of the year?
The DraftFCB Wal-Mart campaign that never ran sounded awful, but the winning campaign by The Martin Agency is actually worse.
2. Which was your favorite?
Post Honey Bunches of Oats. The Black woman with the hairnet may be our 21st century Aunt Jemima.
3. Which client is the worst to work (can be one yours, was one of yours or someone else’s)?
Sprint is arguably among the worst clients. Over the years, they have employed some of the top creative shops and consistently produced shit. Even Goodbyâ€™s work for Sprint is growing more mediocre by the minute.
4. Which CMO deserves being whacked for his work this year?
Julie Roehm. Um, never mind. The CMO who greenlights the “He Went To Jared” campaign deserves a whack.
5. Which ECD has the biggest ego of the year?
Why stroke their ego by calling them out?
6. Which brand should fire their ad agency pronto and why?
Orville Redenbacher needs to fire the necrophiliacs at CP+B. You don’t fuck with dead people. General Motors should fire its general-market agencies, just to keep Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson away.
7. Which advertising agency should consider firing its top level management?
DraftFCB is the obvious choice. McCann too.
8. Which agency is likely to suffer (losses, employees jumping ship, revenue slides) the most next year?
See #7. There’s also a quiet story happening with Euro RSCG Chicago. It’s probably the only shop in the city consistently looking to hire, but they can’t convince people to come on board. They’ve created a Wizard of Oz scenario by bringing in clients, but none of them are profitable. The morale and working conditions are Oz-like too-but the HBO Oz. Management even hypnotized Sun-Times columnist Lewis Lazare to write nice things, probably by buying him drinks and lunch.
9. What shop has done the best work in 2007 (other than your own of course)?
Grupo Gallegos, and no one probably even knows who they are.
10. Which broadcast spot made you want to hurl?
11. What was your favorite spot (that your shop did not create)?
12. Who is the most underrated planner around? Does anyone even care about planners anymore?
They’re all overrated.
13. If you had to work for any agency, but your own – which would it be based on their performance in 2007?
Agency Spy. (Editor’s Note: W00t!)
14. Which agency do you think will have a turnaround in 2008?
DraftFCB should turn around and undo the merger. Seriously.
15. If you could steal one talent from another agency based on their work during 2007 (creative director, planner, etc.) who would it be?
I’d steal the creative team responsible for Viva Viagra. But only so I’d have the authority to fire them.