The Ad Art Show, which celebrates fine art created by artists working in the ad industry, has invited the advertising community to be a part of its jury for the first time in its four year history, and it’s pulled out some big names to participate.
Pum Lefebure, co-founder and chief creative officer at Design Army, and Nils Leonard, creative founder, Uncommon Creative Studio, will both join the 2021 jury to select winning artists. Adweek contributor Bennett D. Bennett of 600 & Rising will act as jury chair.
Lefebure joins the selection committee in the first round of judging, joining gallerists, museum curators and fine art professionals to choose seven finalists. Leonard will be part of the second round of judging to select the overall winner.
“Artistry and craft has always been at the core of any good advertising, branding and design,” said Leonard in a statement. “Our industry’s link to the art world seems to have been forgotten—it’s important we remember its place and continue to cultivate artists from the ground-up. I’m thrilled to take part in this year’s show.”
The jury will judge categories in paintings, photography, mixed media, sculpture and design. The 2021 winning artist will be awarded a Clio in Contemporary Art together with a creative immersion day at NBCUniversal, the show’s presenting sponsor. Winners will be announced on May 3. Last year’s winner was Finnish graphic designer Anton Piktänen.
“Pum and Nils bridge the gap between the worlds of art and advertising. Both beautifully articulate the importance of artistic outlet for people working in the intense atmosphere of advertising. Both recognize personally how agency support in this space inspires innovation and productivity. We share a similar vision and values and I’m incredibly proud to be partnering with Pum and Nils,” Maria van Vlodrop, founder and CEO, MvVO Art, creator of the Ad Art Show said in a statement.
The Jury: round one
- Eric Shiner, executive director, Pioneer works
- Jose Diaz, chief curator, Andy Warhol Museum
- Pum Lefebure, co-founder and chief creative officer, Design Army
- Kayla Coleman, NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, deputy director, Percent for Art
- Corina Larkins, executive director, Cue Art Foundation
- Stephanie Baptist, curator, Facebook Open Arts; director, Medium Tings
- Ed Hogikyan, co-founder, former executive director, NYCxDesign
- Vicki Schneps, president Dan’s Paper and AM New York Metro
- Isaac Aden, senior curator, Jerome A. Cohen and Joan Lebold Cohen Center for Visual Arts
The Jury: round two
- Bennett D. Bennett (Jury meeting chair), founder of 600 & Rising and principal at Aerialist
- Laura Skoler, chair, Ad Art Show Art Selection Committee and Jury; board of directors, New Museum, NYC, and, Daniel and Florence Guerlain Drawing Foundation, Paris
- Nils Leonard, creative founder, Uncommon Creative Studio
- Art collectors: Alvin Hall, Peter Hort, John Friedman, Debbie Rechler
The Ad Art Show returns to the Oculus at Westfield World Trade Center in Manhattan, and online at MvVo Art May 1-30. A virtual opening with Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers takes place on May 3.