Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO has launched a new campaign for Guinness celebrating the “Irrepressible Spirit” of some lesser-known rugby greats for Guinness, just in time for the sport’s end of year Autumn Internationals.
The campaign is composed of four spots celebrating Jonny Wilkinson, Shane Williams, Bill McLaren and the Munster rugby team of 1978, which debuted yesterday in the UK and Ireland. Each ad focuses on “the inspirational character and integrity that is central to the sport,” Stephen O’Kelly, marketing director, Guinness (Western Europe) at Diageo, said in a statement.
In the spot above, for example, Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO tells the inspiring story of Bill McLaren who was diagnosed with tuberculosis and told he would never play rugby again. Rather than accepting defeat, McLaren found his way back into the game as an announcer and became the “voice of rugby.” It’s an emotional approach that should appeal to diehard rugby fans and casual viewers alike, which should be a winning combination for Guinness.
Agency: Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Client: Guinness
- Creative Director: Dave Buchanan
- Copywriter: Nicholas Hulley
- Art Director: Nadja Lossgott
- Agency Planner: Rory Gallery
- Agency Planner: Steve Hopkins
- Agency Producer: Nick Godden
- Agency Producer: Holly Pienaar
- Media Agency: Carat
- Media Planner: Francesca Hills
- Production Company: Rogue
- Production Company: John Doris
- Director: Dan Maslen
- Director: John X. Carey
- Production Company Producer: James Howland
- Production Company Producer: Dom Gomez
- Production Company Producer: John Doris
- Post-Production Company: The Mill
- Audio Post Production: Wave
- Digital Design Company: The Lab, AMV BBDO