Former WEWS sports anchor Terry Brooks has been found not guilty on all charges of rape and kidnapping in connection with a tryst he had with a 22-year-old college student.
“It’s very unfortunate that I had to endure this, that my wife had to endure this — that these lies even reached this point,” said Brooks, who took a leave of absence from the Cleveland ABC-affiliate in August. “Justice was served today.”
Brooks had been accused of raping the young woman at his house after the two were out drinking at a local bar. He was indicted in August on four counts of rape, four counts of attempted rape, and one count of kidnapping. The jury reached their verdict on Thursday afternoon.
WEWS reporter Ron Regan has been covering the case since it began last Friday. He reports that Brooks embraced his wife, who testified in the case earlier this week, following the not guilty verdict.
“Through this situation, I supported my husband 100 percent, even when this all came down,” Nicole Brooks told the media after the trial. “I knew my husband didn’t do this.”