WCHS morning anchor Patrick McMurtry is recovering from injuries sustained during an escape from his burning house in Charleston Wednesday night.
McMurtry was asleep in his home when the fire broke out in his kitchen around 10:30 p.m., according to West Virginia MetroNews. After a smoke alarm woke him up, the anchor was able to break a window and exit the house. He suffered cuts and smoke inhalation, and was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
McMurtry was not at the anchor desk this morning, although a previously taped segment of “West Virginia Wildlife,” which he reports for the Charleston-Huntington ABC affiliate, aired on the morning newscast.