WCCO has chosen Mike Caputa to be its next news director.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul CBS-affiliate announced on Friday that Caputa, who has been the station’s assistant news director since 2007, would lead its newsroom. Caputa had been serving as acting news director since October, when WCCO fired then-news director Scott Libin.
“Mike has demonstrated over the past several months that he is ready to be the leader of a newsroom,” said Brien Kennedy, WCCO’s vice president and general manager. “Mike has earned this opportunity through hard work and dedication.”
Caputa has been with WCCO since 2002, serving as managing editor before he moved on to become assistant ND.
“I am mindful of the rich tradition of WCCO Television in the Twin Cities,” said Caputa.
When Libin was let go in October, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune speculated that Kennedy, who joined WCCO in June, was trying to put “his stamp on the newsroom.”
Caputa seemingly underscored this view, saying upon his appointment, “I am humbled at the opportunity to lead the WCCO newsroom and be part of Brien’s management team.”