“The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” Stewart announced “The Rally to Restore Sanity” on September 16. That same night, Stephen Colbert announced on “The Colbert Report” that he was also holding a rally on the same night at the same place: October 30 (tomorrow) at the National Mall in DC. On October 15, Stewart and Colbert merged rallies to create the “Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.”
So we had to ask, how will the networks be covering the event?
- Fox News Channel plans to cover the rally in the same manner they covered Glenn Beck’s “Restoring Honor” rally back in August. Beck’s rally was the impetus behind Stewart/Colbert’s rally. They will send a camera crew to the event “as news warrants.”
- CNN will provide live coverage with “Ballot Bowl” on Saturday, Oct. 30 from 1pm-6pm and Sunday, Oct. 31 from 2pm-5pm. Members of the “Best Political Team on Television” will report from DC.
- MSNBC won’t go wall-to-wall with rally coverage. The network will be in and out of rally coverage throughout the event. Luke Russert will be the correspondent on site.
- C-SPAN Networks will provide LIVE coverage of the entire Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, produced by Comedy Central and featuring Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. C-SPAN’s live coverage of the Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, event from the National Mall in Washington, DC, begins at noon ET. C-SPAN’s live coverage will be available on TV on C-SPAN and on C-SPAN Radio (90.1 FM in Washington, DC, XM Satellite Radio channel 132, and the C-SPAN Radio App for the iPhone and iPod touch).
- CBS News correspondent, Wyatt Andrews,will be covering the rally along with video journalists, a spokesperson from CBS News told TVNewser. The network has once again hired AirPhotosLive.com (the same group they hired for the Glenn Beck rally) to generate a crowd estimate.
More plans after the jump…
TVNewser will update with plans as we hear about them.