GQ does a Q&A with MSNBC president Phil Griffin who doesn’t like when people says MSNBC is the liberal answer to Fox News.
Griffin: …everybody tries to make an equivalence between us and Fox. You tell me when Fox praises the Democrats! Lawrence O’Donnell said it was one of the best speeches he heard by Romney. Ed Schultz talked about how a star was born with Ryan—even though he disagreed with everything he said. Steve Schmidt the former McCain manager in the ’08 election talked about strategy and helped us understand what they’re doing. We’re totally open to—we don’t have to agree with it but we totally understood it and tried to dissect it and appreciate it for what it is. You never see that at Fox—there’s no equivalency!
Of course, that’s not exactly accurate, and since Griffin asked, here are a few recent examples of Fox news praising democrats.
- Chris Wallace on Michelle Obama’s DNC speech: “Masterful… from her heart.”
- Brit Hume on Mrs. Obama: “Extremely impressive and attractive woman.”
- Charles Krauthammer on Mrs. Obama: “Brilliant speech and brilliantly delivered.”
- Hume on Bill Clinton’s DNC speech: “If I were ever in trouble and if I were guilty — especially if I were guilty — I would want Bill Clinton there to defend me because nobody does it better.”
- Wallace on Clinton: “The reason he is such an effective political speaker is because he is such an effective political thinker. He is able to frame a political argument more effectively than anyone I’ve ever seen in politics.”