A survivor of the Boston Marathon bombings — Adrianne Haslet-Davis, who was also the subject of a CNN profile earlier this week — left a taping “Meet the Press” in tears today.
In a series of tweets, Haslet-Davis said she “politely” asked the show not to use the bomber’s name in the pre-taped interview.
Cannot believe @meetthepress chose to use the bombers name instead of respect their guest. Had to walk off set crying.
— AdrianneHD (@AdrianneHaslet) April 11, 2014
>Update: “Adrianne Haslet-Davis is an inspiring survivor with an important story to share. She was due to take part in a roundtable discussion for Meet the Press with three other participants. She requested that the alleged bombers’ name not be used in the entire program, but given the nature of the discussion we couldn’t make that guarantee,” an NBC News spokesperson tells TVNewser. “We regret any distress caused by this miscommunication.”
An NBC News source tells us Deborah Turness, the network’s president, personally called Haslet-Davis to apologize.
“MTP” host David Gregory responded to Haslet-Davis on Twitter, saying the segment was intended to be “a celebration of Boston w smaller focus on whether clues were missed that could have stopped the bombers.”
[h/t Boston Herald]
I’m so sorry @AdrianneHaslet was upset tdy + had a bad experience w MTP. As I told her, her comfort level is far more imp than any show
— David Gregory (@davidgregory) April 11, 2014