A bit of nice news for the Alphabet: ABC Newser Byron Pitts has been named a 2017 Horatio Alger Award recipient.
The Nightline co-anchor and ABC News chief national correspondent is one of 11 individuals who will be honored by the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Inc., “a nonprofit educational organization honoring the achievements of outstanding individuals and encouraging youth to pursue their dreams through higher education.”
The Association honors top corporate and philanthropic leaders from across the country who have achieved great success in their field despite hailing from modest backgrounds.
“The Horatio Alger Association was established in 1947 to dispel the mounting belief among citizens that the American Dream was no longer attainable,” said Tony Novelly, chairman, Horatio Alger Association and 2000 Horatio Alger Award recipient. “As we celebrate our 70th Anniversary in 2017, we continue our efforts to reaffirm and reinforce that anything is possible in this country with hard work and the drive to succeed. The 11 individuals we are inducting as new Members truly embody all that the Association represents. Through challenges and trying times, these impressive men and women remained determined to achieve great things – and they have.”
Pitts is the sole TV newser to receive a 2017 Horatio Alger award. Fox Business Network’s Lou Dobbs was a recipient back in 1999.
Here’s the full list of the honorees, each of whom will be formally inducted into the Horatio Alger Association on March 30–April 1, 2017, in Washington DC:
- Byron Pitts, chief national correspondent, ABC News and co-anchor, Nightline
- Alain Bouchard, founder and executive chairman of the board, Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc.
- John Elway, executive vice president of football operations/general manager, Denver Broncos
- Mellody Hobson, president, Ariel Investments, LLC
- Harold B. Matzner, chairman, CBA Industries Inc.
- Dr. Valerie Montgomery Rice, president and dean, Morehouse School of Medicine
- Roger S. Penske, chairman, Penske Corporation
- John H. Scully, co-founder and managing partner, SPO Partners & Co.
- Richard J Stephenson, founder & chairman, Cancer Treatment Centers of America and founder & chairman, International Capital & Management Company
- Marcia G. Taylor, president and chief executive officer, Bennett International Group, LLC
- Lenard B. Tessler, vice chairman and senior managing director, Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.