With the awards season officially underway, up next is The Golden Globe Awards on NBC on Sunday at 8 p.m., which honors the best in movies and television. As one of the more difficult awards shows to predict—there is often no rhyme or reason to who will win—here are my picks (who should win and who will win) in the television categories.
BEST TV DRAMA
Big Love (HBO)
Mad Men (AMC)
True Blood (HBO)
Who Should Win: Mad Men
Who Will Win: True Blood
* The current taste for vampires gives True Blood the edge.
BEST TV COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES
30 Rock (NBC)
Modern Family (ABC)
The Office (NBC)
Who Should Win: Modern Family
Who Will Win: Glee
* Modern Family is the better show, but unique Glee has the creative edge.
BEST ACTOR IN A TV DRAMA
Simon Baker, The Mentalist (CBS)
Jon Hamm, Mad Men (AMC)
Michael C. Hall, Dexter (Showtime)
Hugh Laurie, House (Fox)
Bill Paxton, Big Love (HBO)
Who Should Win: Michael C. Hall
Who Will Win: Michael C. Hall
* After four nominations and no wins, consider this better late than never.
BEST ACTRESS IN A TV DRAMA
Glenn Close, Damages (FX)
January Jones, Mad Men (AMC)
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (CBS)
Anna Paquin, True Blood (HBO)
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer (TNT)
Who Should Win: Kyra Sedgwick
Who Will Win: January Jones
* Underestimated January stole the show this season.
BEST ACTRESS IN A TV COMEDY
Tina Fey, 30 Rock (NBC)
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
Toni Collette, The United States of Tara (Showtime)
Lea Michele, Glee (Fox)
Courteney Cox, Cougar Town (ABC)
Who Should Win: Edie Falco
Who Will Win: Edie Falco
* Watch five minutes of Nurse Jackie and you will forget Edie Falco was even on The Sopranos.
BEST ACTOR IN A TV COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (NBC)
Steve Carell, The Office (NBC)
David Duchovny, Californication (Showtime)
Matthew Morrison, Glee (Fox)
Thomas Jane, Hung (HBO)
Who Should Win: Steve Carell
Who Will Win: Mathew Morrison
* Being on the “hottest” show of the lot will not hurt Matthew Morrison’s chances.
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jeremy Piven, Entourage (HBO)
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
William Hurt, Damages (FX)
John Lithgow, Dexter (Showtime)
Michael Emerson, Lost (ABC)
Who Should Win: John Lithgow
Who Will Win: John Lithgow
* Dexter’s newest serial killer had the critics buzzing, and the viewers flinching, all season.
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jane Lynch, Glee (Fox)
Rose Byrne, Damages (FX)
Janet McTeer, Into the Storm (HBO)
Jane Adams, Hung (HBO)
Chloe Sevigny, Big Love (HBO)
Who Should Win: Jane Lynch
Who Will Win: Jane Lynch
* Consider this the one shoo-in of any of the TV categories.
BEST TV MOVIE OR MINISERIES
Georgia O’Keeffe (Lifetime)
Grey Gardens (HBO)
Into the Storm (HBO)
Little Dorrit (HBO)
Taking Chance (HBO)
Who Should Win: Into the Storm
Who Will Win: Into the Storm
* It has the look, feel and historical relevance to snag the statuette.
BEST ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OF MADE-FOR TV MOVIE
Kevin Bacon, Taking Chance (HBO)
Kenneth Branagh, Wallender (PBS)
Chiwetel Ejiofor, Endgame (PBS)
Brendan Gleeson, Into the Storm (HBO)
Jeremy Irons, Georgia O’Keeffe (Lifetime)
Who Should Win: Kenneth Branagh
Who Will Win: Brendan Gleeso
* Could ride the Into the Storm wave.
BEST ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OF MADE-FOR TV MOVIE
Joan Allen, “Georgia O’Keeffe (Lifetime)
Drew Barrymore, “Grey Gardens (HBO)
Jessica Lange, “Grey Gardens (HBO)
Anna Paquin, The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler (CBS)
Sigourney Weaver, Prayers for Bobby (Lifetime))
Who Should Win: Jessica Lange
Who Will Win: Jessica Lange
* Emmy came first, now the Golden Globe is next for the two-time Academy Award winner.