Mad Men has sailed off into the sunset, but the show's victory lap continued Saturday night as Jon Hamm took home a TCA Award for his performance as Don Draper in the AMC drama's final season.
The 2015 TCA Awards, which honor the top TV shows and actors of the past season, recognized several programs and stars overlooked by Emmy voters, including Fox's Empire, which took home program of the year, and FX's The Americans, winner of outstanding achievement in drama.
Hamm (who received his second TCA Award for individual achievement in drama) and several other of the evening's TCA Awards winners will also be vying for Emmys next month. They include Amy Schumer (who won for individual achievement in comedy for her work on Inside Amy Schumer, which also won for outstanding achievement in comedy), HBO's Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (outstanding achievement in news and information), AMC's Better Call Saul (outstanding new program) and HBO's The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (outstanding achievement in movies, miniseries and sports).
Each year, the TCA also bestows a heritage award on a classic television program—its version of a lifetime achievement award for TV shows. This year's award went to David Letterman's two late-night talk shows: NBC's Late Night With David Letterman and CBS' Late Show With David Letterman. James L. Brooks, the writer-director behind iconic TV shows like The Simpsons, Mary Tyler Moore and Taxi, won this year's career achievement award.
The Late Late Show star James Corden hosted the ceremony for the 31st annual TCA Awards, which are voted on by the more than 220 critics and journalists (including this writer) from the U.S. and Canada who make up the Television Critics Association. The event at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Los Angeles isn't televised and doesn't have a red carpet, which leads to a more laid-back event than most TV awards shows.
The complete list of 2015 TCA Award winners:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Jon Hamm (Mad Men, AMC)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Amy Schumer (Inside Amy Schumer, Comedy Central)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: The Chair (Starz)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: The Fosters (ABC Family)
- Outstanding New Program: Better Call Saul (AMC)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: The Americans (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: Inside Amy Schumer (Comedy Central)
- Career Achievement Award: James L. Brooks
- Heritage Award: Late Show/Late Night with David Letterman
- Program of the Year: Empire (Fox)