It’s no surprise that the center of the entertainment industry—Los Angeles—has also been the setting of so many TV series over the years. But while many shows are restricted to a Hollywood soundstage (The Big Bang Theory, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), several others have shot on location throughout the city, making Los Angeles an essential part of those series. Even with TV shows moving production elsewhere in the U.S. or Canada to save on production costs, last year, 15,706 production days of television were filmed on location in Los Angeles (up 9.5 percent from 2014), including more than 100 comedy series and more than 50 dramas, according to Film L.A. Inc. This year, several new series have joined the ranks and put L.A. front and center on screen, including Fox’s Lethal Weapon, NBC’s This Is Us and FX’s Better Things. But they’ll have a ways to go to crack this lineup of the most iconic shows shot on location in Los Angeles.
1. Modern Family (Cheviot Hills)
2. The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (Beverly Hills)
3. Entourage (Hollywood)
4. Beverly Hills, 90210 (Beverly Hills)
5. Baywatch (Santa Monica and Venice Beach)
6. The Shield (South Central)
7. Chips (Central L.A.)
8. Charlie’s Angels (Century City)
9. Transparent (Marina del Rey)
10. Emergency! (Carson and Torrance)
11. The O.C. (Orange County)
12. Arrested Development (Newport Beach)
This story first appeared in the October 10, 2016 issue of Adweek magazine.
Click here to subscribe.