As National Football League teams prepare for the 2013 season, it’s time to examine how they look — on Facebook. Teams with historically large fanbases (Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers) are also among the most popular on Facebook, according to PageData.
These teams also do well in the people talking about this (PTAT) metric, as the Cowboys finish first in both regards.
Scan the table below from PageData and find out how popular your favorite football team is on the social network.
Table sorted by total likes:
|Name||Likes||Δ Today||Δ This Week||PTAT||Δ Today||Δ This Week|
|The Pittsburgh Steelers||4,918,683||+478||+1,659||219,895||-28,480||-17,675|
|New England Patriots||4,076,142||+493||+2,380||201,975||-22,752||-3,045|
|Green Bay Packers||3,510,982||+540||+2,072||87,387||-44,612||-102,165|
|New Orleans Saints||2,966,591||+304||+2,653||142,550||-37,064||-60,858|
|New York Giants||2,714,022||+834||+1,953||100,592||-4,022||+29,568|
|The Oakland Raiders||1,944,756||+331||+11,872||197,634||-44,610||-9,373|
|San Francisco 49ers||1,917,240||+693||+5,208||112,806||+19,257||-357|
|New York Jets||1,499,859||+17||+21||18,441||0||-4,872|
|San Diego Chargers||1,224,636||+84||+546||27,787||-864||-16,583|
|The Kansas City Chiefs||675,846||+126||+1,267||22,163||+3,509||+203|
|The Official Cleveland Browns||644,529||+145||+1,659||36,702||-3,678||-10,171|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||561,383||+116||+1,155||19,368||-924||-33,299|
|St. Louis Rams||421,055||+101||+637||13,772||+2,229||-5,369|
But how does on-the-field performance translate into Facebook popularity? Let’s compare likes with 2012 win percentage for the top 8 teams.
- Denver Broncos (.813): 1,551,799 likes
- Atlanta Falcons (.813): 1,057,064
- New England Patriots (.750): 4,076,142
- Houston Texans (.750): 892,320
- San Francisco 49ers (.719): 1,917,240
- Green Bay Packers (.688): 3,510,982
- Seattle Seahawks (.688): 895,362
- Indianapolis Colts (.688): 1,687,016
Even though the Houston Texans and Seattle Seahawks were quite successful on the field, their Facebook fanbases are small compared to competitive teams like the New England Patriots and Green Bay Packers.
Some other interesting Facebook facts about NFL teams:
- 11 percent of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Facebook fans come from Mexico. The Steelers (who play 1,660 miles from the closest Mexican border) have a higher concentration of fans from Mexico than the San Diego Chargers (7 percent), who are just 20 miles away from the Mexican border.
- On Oct. 27, the San Francisco 49ers and Jacksonville Jaguars will play a game in London. For both teams, the U.K. represents just 1 percent of the total fanbase, showing that Facebook users in this area strongly prefer their own brand of football.
- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is Facebook’s most popular NFL player (2.3 million likes), followed by Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick (2.2 million) and Lions running back Reggie Bush (2.1 million).
- The New York Giants are the fastest-growing in weekly PTAT, while the Oakland Raiders have gained the most fans over the past week.
- The NFL’s official Facebook page ranks third among major American sports leagues in terms of total likes, trailing the National Basketball Association and Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.