On today’s Morning Media Menu (MP3 link), GalleyCat editor Jason Boog took a look at how content goes viral and what to do with negative feedback.
This week, we learned that Pinterest is more viral than Twitter –80 percent of pins are repins, while only 1.4 percent of tweets are retweets. Boog wondered whether the Pinterest craze was just a fad, or the next big thing.
Marketers can’t always control which content goes viral, but BuzzFeed co-founder Jonah Peretti explained in our Media Beat interview that a close examination of past trends can help predict future success. And if 20 percent of your audience responds to something you’ve posted right away, the chances are good that the remaining 80 percent of them are going to click on it, too.
But for those rare bits of content that people love to hate, take a tip from a Brooklyn resident who used comment moderation to stop the negativity surrounding his viral video: by deleting the worst comments, he was able to get new viewers (over 1.2 million to date) to lighten up and write something positive instead.
Image by Nils Z via Shutterstock.